Rear ID number stamping

PITT40

Gold forum user
I've seen mention of the serial # being present on Tiger rears. Where is it stamped?

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bring X-Ray Vision

I've seen mention of the serial # being present on Tiger rears. Where is it stamped?

Under the pinion on the bottom of the casting. Bring lots of carb cleaner and a brush because most are not very discernible.

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Pitt

You can see mine in the photo attached. If you enlarge photo a bit, it becomes much clearer.

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
As I need to ID mine before selling, what is the number's format? I'm having trouble reading it, even magnified.

Warren

Gold forum user
Chalk

As Randy and others suggest clean very well. Take some chalk or a piece of drywall and scrub it against the area then wipe off with clean rag. The chalk will stay in recessed areas and stampings. I had one starting with a X . As I recall M, E , are some of the numbers.

Erich

Gold forum user
See the attached picture from Norm Miller's website rootes1.com

The area of fuzzy white is where the stamping is located.

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My Numbers

The numbers on my rear end, as pictured above are E64 45.

I was under the impression the E64 was a date code (May 64). If Warren had an X, then that might be incorrect and the E64 is just a coincidence.

Warren

Gold forum user
X it was

When I Xplained, and sent pic to Mr. Miller, I was told that it was and could have been, "Experimental," therefore the X.

It was a standard 2.88 open rear end that by every indication looked to be original to the car. Its really tough to fake 46 years of caked on grease and oil.

My local tiger gurus say they have seen others with an X. It was one of the major reasons I sold on the car as it was tarred as a "nice collection of parts," a rather harsh comment about anyone's car.

Let's just say Jensen guys were sloppy, it was the 60's and not the Jaguar line.

PITT40

Gold forum user
Its hard to tell but there is an E there. It says E6656.

This is a rear that I bought for parts. Is this anyone's that needs it?

Erich

Gold forum user
Send a pm to forum user Rootes1 or go to his website and send him a query with that number.

Ask him the status of the car that goes with that rear end in the registry.

He may know who the owner is, or if the car is destroyed etc.