Sounds of Speed

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
We have just returned from a fabulous Race Weekend at Salzburgring (Austria).
The formerly US race built Tiger performed extraordinarily well once again and made the pace in his class several times :)

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Glad to Hear

Glad to hear that this Tiger is running the tracks in Europe and that it did well at Saltzburgring. Do you have any more information about the car or any other photos from it being on the track?

Thanks for sharing!

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I remember that car being for sale a few years back, there was a video posted on YouTube of it in the sale description, I think it's still online, I'll try and find it.

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
At least it's in good hands over here on the continent. Will try to post more pictures later. It was raced on Salzburgring for second time ( last year was first) and it creates a big wave of interest everytime it appears. It pumps out close to 430 HP . Amazingly based on a original 260 displacement . Definitely the hottest and best sounding machine on the entire weekend. Extremely competetive and ahead of the Porsches and even the Cobras in its class...

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Good find! Very true the Porsche tried hard but couldn't hold the Tiger. The only car which came close was the 3l BMW coupe you can also see in the video overtaking the P. When checking with the driver afterwards we found that he has a race tuned M engine of modern make with also 400+ HP. No wonder ! Salzburging is a fabulous once per year and you can race what you bring...

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yep, that's the original video before the car came up for sale. It says 473 HP, anyway that guy coming from Shelby's stable knew what he was doing :)

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
473 HP out of a 260 is a dream. Not a chance in hell unless it is turning 10,000 rpm with different heads.

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
That's what everbody says. Would be interesting to put it on a dyno. But it's definitely the most powerful aspirated Ford smallblock I've ever seen...

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
That's what everbody says. Would be interesting to put it on a dyno.

I have built a 260 for more power and a 347 that does make 450 HP. Spent lots of time with the 260 and 347 on a dyno. The guy is flat out lying. There is no way a 260 with the extremely restricted head ports and small valves can get anywhere near 400 hp much less 473.

You will never see that car on a dyno because he does not want to face the reality of maybe 290 HP out of his 260. People who boast false engine power numbers really piss me off, can you tell?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have built a 260 for more power and a 347 that does make 450 HP. Spent lots of time with the 260 and 347 on a dyno. The guy is flat out lying. There is no way a 260 with the extremely restricted head ports and small valves can get anywhere near 400 hp much less 473.

You will never see that car on a dyno because he does not want to face the reality of maybe 290 HP out of his 260. People who boast false engine power numbers really piss me off, can you tell?

Duke the car likely has modified heads, its running msd... As for 260.. Might be a sleeved 289, short stroke 289... But I can see a race 260 making 340hp... The hsc car in period was meant to push out some serious HP... But that said...who knows what was in that car in period....

Anyway HP dyno readinhs are as useful as peeing into the wind. Dyno should be for getting the mixtures and ignition perfect and getting the powerband useful... Dyno donkeys are useless on a track.

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Who said it has original heads :) anyway it's big fun and feel invited to join us next year on Salzburgring track...

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Anyway HP dyno readinhs are as useful as peeing into the wind. Dyno should be for getting the mixtures and ignition perfect and getting the powerband useful... Dyno donkeys are useless on a track.

Really, guess they do not need to display power produced then. Oh and, don't worry about where the HP and torque curves are in relation to RPM.

Lets see....that 1.8L four cylinder with "perfect" AFR's and timing that produces 150 HP (we don't worry about that power number) is better than a 5.7L V8 that is making 450 HP....oh there is that pesky peeing into the wind number again. Will work on the AFR and timing instead.

Or.....working with the timing and AFR to get the most power the engine will produce......but those readings are not useful.......

:------

Who said it has original heads :) anyway it's big fun and feel invited to join us next year on Salzburgring track...

Thanks! If I am in Germany, will take you up on it.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Very polemical duke ... By your logic may as well put a drag race motor in.. They produce the most hp ... Most wins right? I guess there is a reason some prefer 1/4 mile to the circuit.

It's a bit silly turning around and comparing a 1.8 cyl .. But if that's the case I have s friend here with a daily driver 1993 2 litre mr2 GT.. No internal mods 100k on the clock and will blow the doors off any sunbeam tiger bar jerry porche twin turbo you care to throw at it... But its all about apples and apples...

Some go to dynos, find a single roller setup pump up their tyres super high and open bonnets take off air filters etc to get the highest number for bragging rights... If you are doing that so be it.....

Last edited: