Clutch Problem

tigresunbeam

Forum Member
First sorry for my English , Hope someone will understand

When I push the car hard ( push the pedal) at any RPM , the clutch seem to disappear , clutch pedal goes to the floor and I can' t change gear , at normal driving I have no problem , the problem occur after I have change the pressure plate and clucth . Some people are telling me its the spring on the pressure plate that are not strong enough !!!

Could it be something else ! I had change the clutch master cylinder , the line to the slave cylinder and add silicone to the system !!!!

Thanks

Gilles

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Free play?

There should be a small amount of free play in the clutch pedal before the throw-out bearing engages the fingers of the clutch. Sounds like you do not have enough clamping force to hold.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Also, if you were not using silicon fluid before, and mixed the two or did not completely flush the system, some of your rubber may have gone away!

Bryan

Gold forum user
CAT Member
if your pedal is going to floor you have air still in the system- takes a few times to get all air out- how are you bleeding the system? also is your adjustment rod at a length that gives you a little free play. mind did this same thing until i crawled undernead and saw what was going on-

tigresunbeam

Forum Member
Clutch problem

Had the pleasure of pulling out my broken manifold the other day
Car is up on stand , I have check my friend MKII slave cylinder push Rod
hIs got about half inch of thread ( including the nuts) out of front nuts.
Will bleed the system and make the same installation , will keep you inform of the result .

tigresunbeam

Forum Member
Had the pleasure of pulling out my broken manifold the other day
Car is up on stand , I have check my friend MKII slave cylinder push Rod
hIs got about half inch of thread ( including the nuts) out of front nuts.
Will bleed the system and make the same installation , will keep you inform of the result .

New manifold in !!!!!

tigresunbeam

Forum Member
Just disconnect my slave cylinder ( Problem ) Inside cylinder oval. Leaking all the silicone . was not leaking when on the car
Oval because the push rod his not going straight to the piston into the slave cylinder.

Lot of mess inside the slave cylinder . I had change everything before putting silicone . Master Cylinder , Clutch slave cylinder and de 3/8 pipe.

Had a talk with Rick at SS , just ordered a New slave cylinder , a new 3/8 pipe
will put a repair kit in the master , and will check alignement with the slave cylinder bracket . IF No good I will put a new bracket .

Will keep you posted on the result .

67tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Ditch the Silicon our systems don't like it, you'd be a fool to go back to it. Flush your system, and flush it good and give it
what it likes and what it's designed for, dot 3 or 4. Dot 3 is fine because your not worried about overheating
the fluid like you do with brakes. Bench bleed your new or rebuilt Master and make sure all the air is out of the hydraulic system
at the slave, it's a fun job....enjoy

steven

Gold forum user
Ditch the Silicon our systems don't like it, you'd be a fool to go back to it. Flush your system, and flush it good and give it
what it likes and what it's designed for, dot 3 or 4. Dot 3 is fine because your not worried about overheating
the fluid like you do with brakes. Bench bleed your new or rebuilt Master and make sure all the air is out of the hydraulic system
at the slave, it's a fun job....enjoy
I beg to differ, I run full silicon clutch & brake. I also have run silicon in my Alpine for years. When I opened the master and cylinders some years ago all was bright and clean like a new system. Forget the old mineral fluid it is from historic years

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I beg to differ, I run full silicon clutch & brake. I also have run silicon in my Alpine for years. When I opened the master and cylinders some years ago all was bright and clean like a new system. Forget the old mineral fluid it is from historic years
Steven, I'm assuming you do this with the regular rubber seals? Is it true that the silicone fluid does not attack paint if spilled?