Mark II Oil Cooler question...

Fordlandia

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I believe the attached photo of my Mark II oil cooler is positioned in the way it would be installed in the car: if looking at the cooler from the front.

That is... the lower "loop" in the "overflow or bypass" line is on the driver's side of the car.

If I wasn't 70 years old, I might not have to ask... just cannot recall for certain when I removed it to repair a pinhole leak.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• MARK II OIL COOLER.JPG
    MARK II OIL COOLER.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 132

norm1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
You are correct!!!

I believe the attached photo of my Mark II oil cooler is positioned in the way it would be installed in the car: if looking at the cooler from the front.

That is... the lower "loop" in the "overflow or bypass" line is on the driver's side of the car.

If I wasn't 70 years old, I might not have to ask... just cannot recall for certain when I removed it to repair a pinhole leak.

Thanks in advance!

tigresunbeam

Forum Member
oil cooler

see attached picture of a MKII
This may not be the thruth !!!

Attachments

• loop.jpg
    loop.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

tigresunbeam

Forum Member
Oil cooler

See attached picture from Rootes Supplement !!!!

Gilles

Attachments

• loop.JPG
    loop.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 192

Fordlandia

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Thanks... and another question...

Thanks to everyone (and to Brian Nickels via email) for the answers. So... the photo of the Mark II "Tigresunbeam" attached shows the cooler installed the "wrong" way (compared to the Rootes Supplement diagram).

For the benefit of someone searching for Mark II cooler info on the forum in the future, here is "THE" question: does it matter which way it is connected?

After thinking about it, I believe that it does matter, but would like a more knowledgeable CAT member to confirm that. I believe that the side of the cooler with the "lower loop" (shown on the driver's side in the diagram) has a "washer and spring" deal at the bottom. Based on oil pressure I believe that gizmo permits some oil to bypass the cooler as needed to maintain full flow.

Is that correct (to function properly the cooler must be installed as shown on the diagram)?

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Oil cooler

Hi Bill, on the bottom of the oil cooler on the opposite side of the “hoop”, there is a nut. Inside that tube after the nut is removed there is what looks like a spring loaded valve if memory serves me correct. (It’s been years) This may be the way it works best. If anybody can substantiate this, then we will nail this down.
Brian

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Spring and Valve

Hi Bill, on the bottom of the oil cooler on the opposite side of the “hoop”, there is a nut. Inside that tube after the nut is removed there is what looks like a spring loaded valve if memory serves me correct. (It’s been years) This may be the way it works best. If anybody can substantiate this, then we will nail this down.
Brian

My understanding is that there was a spring and a "plug" or valve up above the drain plug in the oil cooler tube. I believe the purpose was to block the cooler off from the oil until the oil temperature reached a certain point. (Maybe it was pressure controlled instead of temperature controlled.) My cooler is lacking these parts. It is not hard to imagine that when the oil was changed at the Sunbeam dealership, the mechanic would put a drain pan under the cooler, open up the drain plug, and let everything fall out, oil, spring, and valve. Would be interesting to find if many Mk II coolers still have theirs. I know mine does not.

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Oil cooler

Hi David, I have two oil coolers, one on the car and one that I purchased that was damaged and now fixed like new. Both of these oil coolers have the “valve inside. I think the valve prevented back flow or one way flow operation.
Brian

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Check Valve?

Hey Brian,

When I look at the parts supplement diagram for the oil hoses and cooler, it appears that one hose is connected to the oil pump outlet and the other hose to the oil filter. I am not sure that there is a way for the oil to flow the wrong way through the cooler - seems like it will always go from high pressure side to the low pressure.

In any case, if a cooler does have the spring and valve/plug, it seems like it becomes important which way the cooler is installed. If those are missing from the cooler (like my cooler), it does not matter which way the cooler is installed.

I have never seen the spring and valve/plug, nor even photos of them. I could not find them listed in the supplement parts list. Nor could I find the drain plug, either.

Thanks!
David

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Oil cooler

Hi David, I will see if I can get some time to undo the plug or nut and drop the “valve” out to take a picture for you. I agree if you didn’t have it in place it wouldn’t make much difference. I’m still wrestling with posting pictures, maybe I could email them to you and you could post them here for others to see.
Brian

Warren

Gold forum user
Tutorial

Look down at the forum problem and questions or email them to me or any Administrator. As a ease of smart phone use I text big pictures to myself, which automatically compresses them and reduces them in size. Then I open the picture or click on it as a text and ask the phone to save it. On an Android phone it's saves in my documents not sure on an iPhone. Then I just do my posting on the Forum and pick the freshly downloaded compressed picture.

This is a really interesting thread I always wondered if the oil cooler had a temperature or pressure valve.
Been so cold in Cali. hard to get up to operating temp.