Jasper 289

MT260

Bronze forum user
A Jasper Engines rebuild.
https://www.jasperengines.com/

Bought engine in about 1990 +/- during restoration of our Tiger but reverted to correct engine. So, this is excess to our needs.

Final preparation from: http://vintagemotorcarco.com/

1965 Block and heads, bored over size (not sure how much). Rebuilt with new pistons, rings, main bearings, rod bearings, rebuilt heads. Includes: long block (high quality, correct blue color.) 64 & 1/2 intake manifold; balancer; 64 & 1/2 timing cover (with oil fill tube and cap)

Engine in storage in Frenchtown, Montana. Just outside Missoula, on I90 close to Idaho border.

Will get 5 or 6 bolt info and look for casting date.

$2,500

Attachments

• Ford 289 Jasper rebuild -2.JPG
    Ford 289 Jasper rebuild -2.JPG
    851.9 KB · Views: 192
  • Ford 289 Jasper rebuild.JPG
    Ford 289 Jasper rebuild.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 206
Last edited:

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Has the engine been stored in a dry place the past 30 +/- years, and has it been turned over at all in that time frame? If I am reading this right you bought it all rebuilt? Thank you.

MT260

Bronze forum user
Update re: Questions

One member asked about bolt pattern and build date…I will get pictures of that. As it is a ’65 should be 6 bolt patten.
Engine has been stored in dry areas since 2006, either in my garage with the car or with our antique furniture in a storage area since 2014. All with concrete floors, no heat so condensation shouldn’t be a problem. Montana is very dry climate (as evidenced by recent forest fires.) Before that at the restoration shops...Vintage in their modern shop..lesser I suspect with the initial restorer (A combination of AAA garage then home garage where engine was remained uninstalled.)

Not sure what exactly Vintage Motorcar did with engine to bring it from what constituted a long block from Jasper, to current situation. I suspect not much. I do recall they were picky about repainting it to correct color for the year.

It has not been turned over manually since I got the engine on the dolly from Vintage when our Tiger was shipped west in 2006. It should be fine, but you bring up good point on something that should be checked. I’ll contact a local engine shop here and ask if they would provide an independent assessment.
I would ask any buyer to share half of that cost.

I understand it is a good engine shop….well recommended by our Model A Ford Club.

More later.

Jim

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
$.02

Based on the pictures, the heads look later than 1965.

The block has a 6 bolt bellhousing pattern.

Also, the timing cover/ water pump is later than 1964.5.

I just call 'um as I see 'um.

DW