Axle shaft removal

drbill

Gold forum user
Well, I managed to get the hubs off the rear axle with a (borrowed) Snap-On hub puller. It worked the charm. I want to replace the axle bearings, so the shaft needs to come out. The backing plate, etc. has been removed, so any tips, experience, do's and don't's to pass on?
Thanks,
Bill:eek:

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
pull axle

When I did it I put the hub back on the axle and secured it with big nut, not tight. I attached my hub puller to the lugs and used slide hammer to pull it out.

Rootes Group workshop manual Sunbeam 260 - 289 was reference I used. Section G.

Rick

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
I did this awhile back. See details here - http://teae.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1853&p=7665&hilit=hub#p7665

010.jpg

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
More Ditto

I've got the shop notes, but they don't have a whole lot on removing the shaft itself, other than using chains and a sleeping bag. I was hoping for some different ideas. ;))

As long as you intend to replace the bearing rolls & race anyway, using the slide hammer technique works great (various methods). Keeping the same bearings and race after you've hammered them is another bag-O-headaches waiting to occur.

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
In theory

In theory and according to Rootes shop manual the trick is to keep the bearing loaded and aligned or you will destroy the bearing. I did not note anything in the way of damage so reused the bearing. Pounded the sucker back in and reassembled all of it.

I did this one side job because of a bit of oil streaking the wheel from the hub retaining nut. No oil in the brakes but it was not going to get better by itself.

Turned out the inner seal was major toast and the bearing area between the seals was flooded with gear lube. The outer seal was holding back the flood admirably but the gear lube was (in minute quantity) sneaking out along the axle taper and key way through hub. This showed up most when driven hard on the track. Hot oil and lots of lateral G.

Rick

drbill

Gold forum user
In theory and according to Rootes shop manual the trick is to keep the bearing loaded and aligned or you will destroy the bearing. I did not note anything in the way of damage so reused the bearing. Pounded the sucker back in and reassembled all of it.

I did this one side job because of a bit of oil streaking the wheel from the hub retaining nut. No oil in the brakes but it was not going to get better by itself.

Turned out the inner seal was major toast and the bearing area between the seals was flooded with gear lube. The outer seal was holding back the flood admirably but the gear lube was (in minute quantity) sneaking out along the axle taper and key way through hub. This showed up most when driven hard on the track. Hot oil and lots of lateral G.

Rick
Well, I decided to leave well enough alone. Once I got the hubs off, I tried to get the axle shafts out, using the method proscribed in the shop manual, like Duke's picture. They wouldn't budge.
In what I could see of the bearings, they looked fine and no gear oil leaking. So, I used my finger to stuff some grease in the bearings, then put it all back together. Don't know if I got any grease in there, but I feel better. :D

I will leave replacement of the bearings for another day since they seem serviceable for now.
Thanks, Bill