Front crossmember jig

Billm

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Would anyone have photos of what you use to lower and replace your front crossmember? I would like to try and make it easy on myself to reinsall this unbalanced assembly. Thanks in advance? Bill

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bill,

there was an article in Tiger Tales about 4 years back showing the process in pictures with some text... will see if i can dig it up. As i recall you lift the car off the cross member as opposed to dropping it.

Tigerbill

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I have used a transmission cradle on my floor jack. Remember the dental floss tied around the bolts incase you "lose" one, saved me major grief!
Did it solo, no perspiration :)
BillMcG
Ottawa

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
More innovations

Would anyone have photos of what you use to lower and replace your front crossmember? I would like to try and make it easy on myself to reinsall this unbalanced assembly. Thanks in advance? Bill

Because the thing just flat loves to tip over and keep your fingers ducking; it is helpful to replace the two rear bolts with long threaded rod (1/2" fine thread X 12" works for me). I then raise the car off the critter. Don't forget the two brake line connections and the steering dog-leg. From there, I like to let it lay on a small dolly, remove the wheels and roll it out sideways.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I have not done it in years but as I recall I took the brake line loose, undid the steering and then took the bolts out of the crossmember. Once out I jacked the car up and just rolled the crossmember assy out of the way. Can actually be done in about 30 minutes if you are serious. Good luck.

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
I made this

I had some spare steel lying about so on a rainy day I made this jig. You need to remove the shocks first. Works well but you need to tie the jig and cross member to the jack so it cannot fall off.

Seabrook

Silver forum user
All this sounds easier than my balancing it on three hydraulic trolley jacks, one pump at a time in rotation. Ugh!

Billm

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Front crossmember removal

Thanks everyone! I am trying to put the crossmember back in. I have made up some guide pins from 1/2" bolts with the heads cut off and a rod welded on to act as guide pins. Trying to raise the assembly up and keeping it balanced is like trying to help a drunk get up that has fallen on ice! these photos and tips will help me make a jig. Thank you Bill

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
just another possibility

I've hawked this thing in a prior post... It just seems to have a lot of the concern taken care of for balancing a wider part like the crossmember. I could see easily modifying it too. The jigs are sweet and certainly better...but I personally don't have the skill set.

But... 'what if'... the side arms are extendable on this. they also have spin adjustable pads, but if you turned the arms upside down, you might be able to place bolts right in there as guide pins(?) It's $40, I'll be trying if necessary, but so far haven't needed to...yet.

If the arms are too short, one could add newly jigged arms, or matching steel arm (hopefully a common dimension) in place of these shorter ones and drill some pin holes at the ends. What's most nice is that the fulcrum is bolted to the jack lift pad...I just like the look of that.

http://www.harborfreight.com/floor-jack-cross-beam-60762.html

Let us know what you work out.

DD (CA)

Twin Turbo Tiger

Gold forum user
I can't tell you how many times I've had my motor in and out of my car and every time I do it I swear I'll do easier the next time but keep doing it the same way I unbolt ever thing and have a jack in the center of the x frame and start jacking the car up till it clears and i have another jack under the front to keep it level and the just roll it out.
I had to laugh about the Foss tied to the bolts because you don't know how many times I drop the bolts out and one falls into the k member and then I'm in there with a magnet
HA HA.
Thanks for some new ideas I will be taking my front end out next week having to fit a new remote oil filter in.

Billm

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Front Ccrossmember Jig

DD I drove put to Harbor Freight yesterday to pick up one of there beams. Of course they were out of them! got home cut some ply wood and strapped it to the crossmember. I made a2x4 small box for the jack pad to fit into. Still tippy. Lowered the car down on to guide pins. Still have to bolt it up today. I had found a photo were the assembly was placed on a wooden frame and they probably lower the car on it. I wonder if a motorcycle jack would be better suited to lifting the crossmember?

Warren

Gold forum user
Cycle Jack

Pic of a H.F. jack that got left behind by a jewel of a tenant.
Note the items in pic for size reference. VW rear bumper blade on car, rattle can etc..

I did bring it home as I thought the rubber lift sections would be nice on the slippery cross member but haven't played with it yet.

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
crossmember

Yea, I should have made one of those crossmember jacking jigs... I used to have 10 complete fingernails, now I only have 9 1/2 due to one getting caught between the crossmember and the sharp edge of the front valence as the crossmember fell off the floor jack. Anyone who asks what happened to my finger I tell "I got bit by a Tiger"!
Next time!
Bob Knight
B9471705
B9471929

Sunbeam_in_AZ

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I modified a harbor freight trans jack. I used 3 foot long 2x2 angle iron from home depot for outriggers to extend the casters out for better balance then made a top plate out of 1/8 plate stock that bolts onto the tranny cradle. I lined the inside of the plate with 1/4 sticky foam. The top plate also fits the stock crossmember, although I welded a tow hook on the bottom of my crossmember and use the tow hook to secure the entire crossmember to the jack assembly.

Sunbeam_in_AZ

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Yes that is one of Dale's suspensions. While it is pretty sitting in the cart and it will be a while before it is mounted, I am looking forward to getting it at least a little dirty.

Billm

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Sunbeam in Az can you use the crossmember lifting jig with the engine in the car?

varodder

Bronze forum user
A motorcycle jack works well

I just did this last week. I used a motorcycle jack which cradles the cross member well. I used a hold-down strap to keep it from flipping. Using guide pins as described earlier I jacked it right in place with no problem. Had the whole thing bolted up in 20 minutes. If anyone is interested I'll post some pictures of the process.

Warren

Gold forum user
Pics

Always good does it look like the Harbor Freight, one I posted?

What's the News from Newport... As they used to say.