California Registration Information

jamesroney

New forum user
Does anyone have an original CA DMV issued title or registration card from a 1966 Tiger Mk1A?

I am trying to determine the correct spelling and designation for the "make", "model", and "VIN"

As I recall, the make was Rootes, but in my memory it was truncated to "ROOTS."

I also recall that the VIN on my B947 car had the LRXFE in the VIN.
Do the B382 cars also have the suffix?

Lastly is the model "Tiger" or was the model "Sunbeam"

Thanks!

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member
dmv

Hi James, for what it's worth, my vin is listed as '3821.....LRXFE', the make is
'ROOTS', the body type model is 'RD2' (roadster 2 seater I guess), cyls. is '08', and type vehicle is '120'.

There is also a 7 digit 'tab number', not sure what that was/is.

DCTiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
'66 MK I Title

Looking at it right now. Car was registered in San Jose for a paltry sum of $2.

VIN: 66947xxxx, no LRFXE
Make: ROOTS, no E
Body Type: RDSSBTIG, no ? :confused:

Each office probably did it differently.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The earliest registration I have is for 1971:

Make: Roots
Vin: 382001542
Model: AA
Body type: RDS080
Class: AX
Type: 120

Boy, not much standardization back then!

JB66CAT

Gold forum user
There is another thread discussing registration that would be helpful for you. I'm still fussing with my registration but, IMHO Rootes is the manufacturer, Sunbeam is the Make, and Tiger is the Model. The original pink rarely (from what I've read)represents the entire VIN as it is stamped on the actual tag. B382000XXXLRXFE for example could be on the pink as 6638200XXX

Warren

Gold forum user
Plus 1

So got another Rdstr titled as a 67382002526 and ROOTS. The P.O. claimed that the interior was a light blue originally on the car and that it was included on the vin stamping . Some things you don't argue about:cool:

Warren

Gold forum user
Fun stuff

When we get a car I pull off the plate and set in the sun and then carefully peel off the old registration stickers to get to the bottom and it's first year in Calif.

While waiting on the INF 70 from DMV listing previous owners I also do the ones I have heard of by searching here,

http://www.team.net/mharc/archives/...dxname=tigers&max=20&result=normal&sort=score

This was a P.O. of my black car and the next guy had quite a few postings he also used the vin which some Tiger guys like to do. It is really cool to go back and see what was trouble and what was easy for the P.O.

I hope this tidbit helps someone research their car.