Tiger auction Craigslist

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The Nice Thing to do

Perhaps contacting the family and working a deal with the storage guy would be the proper chain to follow. Storage guy just wants money and the family should have a legit title. Just sayin' . . . . .

Warren

Gold forum user
Thanks Doug

It's easy to search the Tigers email list either by Google or the users name. Most make it easy by listing the VIN of their car when asking a question.
The email list is the predecessor of this forum and other forums and Fakebook. The best thing is the email list makes you read the O.P's. question after every reply the worst thing would be the same thing it's not searchable as easily as forums are. Many members here post there and have multiple citizenship. Randy is right searching the Obit's while a little creepy may help a widow or heir, they deserve the dough not a storage unit owner. The users name was DJoh797014 .

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
All for the "right thing"

Perhaps contacting the family and working a deal with the storage guy would be the proper chain to follow. Storage guy just wants money and the family should have a legit title. Just sayin' . . . . .
Totally agree Randy.... I wish this could happen. I'm sensitive to the fact also that the owner was 'one of us,' seeing now the older forum posts (thx W).

There are a number of logistical issues with this, unless someone is already actively in discussion with family. In my own recent experience, the impounders gain legal title to the vehicle as well (at least here in CA). I'd guess its the same with the storage place(?) In this case, they may hold a large fee over you... to regain the car, they will charge you the, often exorbitant, storage fee or "sell" the car back to you. I'm guessing that the storage place now has enough interest to be less than helpful with a resolution that won't bring them much money...

There are a number of obits for the name that pop up in area, common name, since summer of last year. If anyone is aware how to contact the family but would not have interest in the vehicle, i would reach out with condolences and a potential alternate option for them.

If I'm unable to pursue further, I would too hope someone can make a thoughtful run at it.

My current position: The restorer is making plans for auction Sunday. If he's not available, I'll inform here and release my interest, not that it may matter... But Bill might have more pressure to drive out if within a few hours(?)

If my guy is avail... I'm even considering a live stream (periscope or other) to live analyze authenticity and consider a proper offer. That would be cool... CATMBR/STOA folks would be more than welcome. We'd all share in the chase.

But again... while I am interested in doing this and am continuing pursuing this for now... being there physically or more closely as a friend/colleague of Dave would supersede my efforts and I'd appreciate if someone else intends to pursue letting me know.

catcollector

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I may go to the auction

I'm 3+ hours away but after talking with my wife and seeing the back story on this car, I have decided to attend as well.

I called the Storage manager and all he would tell me is the owner passed away and the son is now the owner.

Didn't pursue anymore information in case someone else has already called and asked questions.

Also, I don't want to be bidding up a car against another Tiger owner.
But, I feel the same as others do, would like to see it go to a owner who appreciates it.

I have my limits on purchase price, but am willing to go bid and if I won, bring the car back to a safe storage space and offer it up for the purchase price plus costs to transport to anyone who is a member here.

My 66 tiger restoration is almost complete and I do have a large selection of additional parts as well. I could get the car rolling and complete if anyone was interested.

BUT, I don't want to take a 3+ hour drive to compete against another member here, doesn't really help anyone.

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks "CC"

I'm 3+ hours away but after talking with my wife and seeing the back story on this car, I have decided to attend as well.

BUT, I don't want to take a 3+ hour drive to compete against another member here, doesn't really help anyone.

With your gallant offer and confirmation of attendance, I'll pull out of my intent to bid. I would need to make financial arrangements right away tomorrow, please advise if any change of heart.

I wish you well!

PS: Internet can be scary: I have the owner's old phone number. It may no longer be valid and I realize too that making that call may not feel "right." But then again, it may lead to more good car-ma. Let me know if interested.

PPS: Have a smart phone? We could still do the periscope thing... ;-)

Derek Daily aka Double D

catcollector

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Hope it works out

It looks good on paper, but you never know who else may be planning the same thing.
I would definitely rather be dealing with a family member than a storage manager.
When I heard it was his fathers car, that struck a chord.
I'm willing to call first to see if the family wanted to work something out before hand.
I was thinking if they cant afford to pay the storage, they certainly deserve the proceeds from the sale over the storage place.
Not sure where to go from here?
Either way, if no one else is within striking range Ill go and give it my best shot.
pm me Derrick and we can discuss
Thanks

Joe

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The plot thickens...

I would definitely rather be dealing with a family member than a storage manager.
When I heard it was his fathers car, that struck a chord.
I'm willing to call first to see if the family wanted to work something out before hand.
I was thinking if they cant afford to pay the storage, they certainly deserve the proceeds from the sale over the storage place.
Joe

Agree on all counts... Although I'm soft enough to even consider doing more than that if its a fiscal hardship issue. I found detailed background and at least circa 2009~2011 the son was proud of work on Dad's car... Something ain't right here.

I have mail to you, and to last found email(s) for son.

Derek

catcollector

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Just heard from the storage manager.
The owner paid off the storage so no auction.
I wonder if he worked a sale before or just decided to keep it......

Warren

Gold forum user
Good news and bad news

Hope someone invites the current owner here. It's a interesting project. The front picture shows an intact hood. Hard to imagine smashing the front end up and not screwing up hood or most of the fenders. The picture attached was a insurance total on Copart. Took a hard hit on a low object and was a really nice trophy winning car. You could say it needs a X member and a front clip as well...

Attachments

• b10246fd-6514-4082-95bc-ea80ddf9641e(1).JPG
    b10246fd-6514-4082-95bc-ea80ddf9641e(1).JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 170

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sorry to see that damage W... and hopeful

that the current owner family secured car and/or value for it.

Previous background history was found on TEAE. Hopefully, they and the car will re-emerge.

Patrick Johnson Red storage car

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
All seems very strange.

I remember the teae thread and also some other stange dealings re:parts and payments a few years back.

I guess lets just hope the car emerges restored and sorted one day.

SunbeamTgr

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Tiger Auction Craigslist

I am letting you guys know that the son called me (after I had made a couple of inquiries to Midwest Tiger owners). We have struck a deal on the purchase of his car. I am flying to Chicago Saturday to hook up with him and the storage facility to try to finalize a transaction. More info coming after I verify all is good. Wish me luck! Gary

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Good Luck

I am letting you guys know that the son called me (after I had made a couple of inquiries to Midwest Tiger owners). We have struck a deal on the purchase of his car. I am flying to Chicago Saturday to hook up with him and the storage facility to try to finalize a transaction. More info coming after I verify all is good. Wish me luck! Gary

Keeping em' on the road, good going . . . . . .

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Here is a photo of Dave and his Tiger at the TE/AE Indy United in 1986. The red LAT9 pie mags made his car unique! RIP Dave-we miss you. Best wishes to the new owner-hope all the parts and paperwork are available.....Eric

Attachments

• Dave Johnson Tiger.jpg
    Dave Johnson Tiger.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 124

SunbeamTgr

Silver forum user
CAT Member
We are still in a "holding pattern". The folks who are storing the diff and have the title are not returning from a trip until sometime this evening (supposedly). We will see how this goes and let everyone know. We did go out to the storage unit and examine the car earlier today. Patrick did not overstate the condition. It's pretty much rust-free, has a number of LAT options and the body work done post accident was at least adequate, not excited about the color and paint quality is mediocre, but it passed the magnet test and has a lot to like about it. Continuing to keep a positive attitude but also willing to walk away. Pull for me, we can make this a really nice car again!

henry_v

Bronze forum user
Glad you got to inspect the car. Are you aware this Tiger had serious front end damage? Does it look properly repaired? Does Patrick still have his Mk1?

SunbeamTgr

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Well, my wife and I are heading back to Oregon WITHOUT a Tiger in a moving van as was the original plan. We all are still very optimistic that it will work out. I really don't need another Tiger project, but I do like the car. The problem was twofold (the differential and TITLE). Both are being stored at a couple's home that are on a "trip". They had planned to return on Sunday evening, so we could retrieve those important items and some other stuff. Unfortunately, those plans changed and they won't be home until this coming weekend. I refused to take the car without those important items, and Patrick understands. He did take off the day from work to try to communicate but was unsuccessful until this evening. I can't wait any longer, have a sweet 65 Mk l waiting for completion and the upcoming trip to Santa Maria. Disappointed, yes but still hopeful of a positive outcome. Gary