Mustang rear disc brakes

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Apparently there was an article in Tiger Tales by Dan Walters on how to fit Mustang brakes. I am interested in the rears.

I think this must have been around 06-07

Anyone know about this mod?

Doug C

Gold forum user
Apparently there was an article in Tiger Tales by Dan Walters on how to fit Mustang brakes. I am interested in the rears.

This article would be great reading; hope that someone can find it.

Cheers, Doug

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
This article would be great reading; hope that someone can find it.

Cheers, Doug

Did you look through the old Tiger Tales that are posted on the Forum? You must be signed in as a C.A.T. member to access the Tiger Tales section.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Mustang Discs

Mustang II discs methinks ??

Attachments

• discs rear 003.jpg
    discs rear 003.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 295
  • discs rear 002.jpg
    discs rear 002.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 293
  • discs rear 001.jpg
    discs rear 001.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 284

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Did you look through the old Tiger Tales that are posted on the Forum? You must be signed in as a C.A.T. member to access the Tiger Tales section.

I forgot all the effort that went into scanning and sprucing all the tiger tales. An amazing resource, worth the yearly dues alone, before you even consider access to cat parts :cool:

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
2006 and 2007 Tiger Tales

I checked and it looks like we do not yet have the Tiger Tales from 2006 and 2007 posted on the Forum. I don't know if that is because the folks who committed to scanning them have yet to do so or if the scanned editions just have not yet been posted. :(

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Is C.A.T. Member in Your Forum Profile?

C.A.T. members should see a major section CAT Member Area with three subsections under it – WELCOME CAT Members!, Parts and Services Whitepages, and Tiger Tales Archives – when they log in to the Forum. If you are a C.A.T. member and do not see these sections, then your profile does not include your being a C.A.T. member. See http://catmbr.org/VB_forum/showthread.php?t=5557 for more information about this and what to do to fix it.

Everyone who is a C.A.T. member should see "Member of CAT" under their log-in name on each post he/she makes.

Hope this helps.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Mustang II discs methinks ??

Did the Mustang ll not use a front hub/rotor combo? Or is this an aftermarket rotor

Centric 121.61026
Rotor Style: Plain
Outside Diameter: 277mm (10.91")
Rotor Height: 95.3mm (3.75")
Nominal Thickness: 26.1mm (1.03")
Minimum Thickness: 24.7mm (0.97")
Hub Hole Diameter: 63.7mm (2.51")
Stud Hole Size: 1/2 x 20
Bolt Circle: 108mm (4.25")

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Discs

Did the Mustang ll not use a front hub/rotor combo? Or is this an aftermarket rotor

Centric 121.61026

Those are Must II stock rears with the E-brake lever/cable, etc.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
If Mustang ll part, they might be Grenada front rotors that is the spec I posted. Granada is the 11" upgrade for the hot rod Mustang ll front ends and I have one in my 1960 Stude pickup

Centric 121.61026

Last edited:

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Check w/Dale

If Mustang ll part, they might be Grenada front rotors that is the spec I posted. Granada is the 11" upgrade for the hot rod Mustang ll front ends and I have one in my 1960 Stude pickup

Centric 121.61026

The units in our photo came from Dale as a kit. It both fit and worked quite well.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
The units in our photo came from Dale as a kit. It both fit and worked quite well.

What was the front brake did you use with these rears?

Did you use a proportioning valve?

What did you use for handbrake cables?

Last edited:

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I now have the Dan Walters Mustang Cobra rear disc mod figured out c/w bias balance calculations, pad coefficients to achieve that balance, MC size, calliper piston size, and proportioning valve settings.

I will not fit it to my car until I am back in Canada this summer, and will post all the details, calculations, and calliper bracket drawing once it is fitted. I do not expect any problems as Dan designed and fitted this years ago.

I have the Wilwood front brake kit, so all I did differently from Dan was to use a larger bore calliper from a 93-98 Lincoln MK-Vlll so that I could increase the clamping force to match my Wilwood front kit. The Cobra calliper bias balance would be fine with higher friction .55 pads, but the larger bore Lincoln allows more common .40 street pads.

The rotors, pads, and callipers are now in hand, and the calliper bracket will be fabricated once I fit the rotors. I cannot post the drawing for the bracket yet, but will do so once fitment is verified

What I do not know is how to approach the handbrake cable.
Any ideas?

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I retract this WAG due to the rotor height.

Centric 121.61026