Replace rear shocks

wjm7947

Bronze forum user
I have a nice tiger driver. I want to replace my rear shocks. Which shocks do you guys recommend? Also where would I get bushings for the new shocks?? This is not a autocrosser.
Thanks

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sunbeam specialties sells some regular road shocks ( Monroe or kyb iirc) then you have the more sporty adjustable options from spax and koni.

Cat used to offer edelbrock shocks as well, all come wish bushings I believe.

HRO260

Bronze forum user
A couple of references

Hi

Here's a couple of numbers for rears you might want to investigate other than the regular Koni quoted numbers. I've used the Gabriel Ultra for a "comfort" ride, plus I had ready access to them at a good price so it wasn't a huge cost imposte to test. I'm happy with them in that ride context.

I also have Konis installed but I can't be bothered adjusting for that "right ride" so they're probably set a little too hard at the moment. I could probably get them per a similar setting to the Gabriels, but from what you've intimated, more coin for a shock than you need to dispense with I'm guessing.

It wouldn't take too much research for you to backsolve to other brands per MK's suggestions (which is what I did with the KYBs - I have no personal experience with them per sé).

Rear Shocks
KYB
AGX 743019
Gas Adjust KG5562

Gabriel
69676 Ultra
81841 Guardian

All the best, Tom

Last edited:

67MKII

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just FYI,
There is a set of new KYB AGX listed on eBay right now in the Sunbeam Tiger section..

Yes, I am affiliated with that sale.

John

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Shocks

I was just wondering what you guys are using for adjustable shocks and there availability and price. I have a 40+ year set of Koni's that I think are getting tired. I know that I can have them rebuilt.....but almost the same as buying a new set of Koni's.$$$$ I remember the club selling Edelbrocks a while ago, does anybody out there recommend a certain brand? I don't auto cross, just regular spirited driving. Are the externally adjustable ones the kind to lean ;) toward. What are the different brands that can be externally adjusted? Your input is welcome on what and why you chose them. Thanks!
Brian

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
I think are getting tired?

Brian, Mileage and use/abuse are considerations at least as important as age? why swap them out if they still perform and do not mark your garage with oil.

Unlike some other parts failing?? A shock leak will not require calling Triple A, You can drive it home. :rolleyes:

Rick

Doug C

Gold forum user
Just FYI,
There is a set of new KYB AGX listed on eBay right now in the Sunbeam Tiger section..

Yes, I am affiliated with that sale.

John

For more exposure please post a link to the auction.

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Shocks

Hi Rick, I have correct new front end springs,
I have the front tire scrubbing the top of the
fender lip. There's no oil on the garage floor
but I think the spring rate is the same as it
should be but the shocks are weak in my opinion.
If I pull into a gas station at normal entering speed
I can hear my tire rub the inside of the fender
as I drive into the small transition rise from the
roadway to the gas station entrance. This also
happens on a long stretch of highway when
there's a dip in the road, then I smell a puff
of rubber. I think they are tired, and are working
in there normal range of travel. Koni's are nice and
rebuildable, but are almost the cost of new ones
coupled with the Canadian dollar, I'm looking
at close to $1000 once I pay the difference on
the dollar, shipping etc. This is why I asked my
previous question on what people are using and
why.
Brian

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Tyres contact fender

Your problem is not the shocks or your springs. The suspension is designed to absorb bumps by using springs and the shocks absorb some energy so that rebounding is dampened out. You need to cut back the area that the tyres rub or use a narrower tyre. Wheel offset? can also be part of clearance problem.

Rick Admin

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
More Thoughts

If you recently replaced your tires and/or wheels and you noticed this problem with your front tires shortly thereafter, then Rick, as usual, is probably right. However, if you haven't recently changed your wheels or tires, there may be something else. Did you check your car's height at the front after you replaced your springs? Is it possible that the new springs are a little bit shorter than your old ones were? If so, Rick has given you a solution that is a lot easier than changing out springs again.

And did you replace the rubber isolator between each spring and A-arm? If so, were the new ones the same height as the old ones? Sometimes those get old and can fail, too.

I would have thought that the new springs had not sagged (yet) like the old ones and your ride height might be a tad bit higher, not lower, than when you were on 50 year-old springs.

Good luck fixing your issue.

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Shocks

I am running original LAT 70 wheels with
185/70's for rubber. I will look for the
thickness of rubber insulator on each side
and see what my friend used. Hopefully I
find that that's the issue.
Thank you Rick and Dave for your help
on this.