more Alternator

eagleman1022

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Started a new thread because the old thread is closed. For those of you that need to fabricate new alternator mounts or other bits of fabrication, I thought I'd add this possibly helpful info.

If you aren't well versed in creating CAD drawings to aid in design of your project, you might be interested in a free and very simple CAD drawing program from Google called "Sketchup". You can buy the professional version or just download the free "maker" version. It is extremely easy to draw items in the FRONT view using geometric shapes then extend the 2D drawing into a 3D object that can be rotated, zoomed and then printed (in front view) on card stock for use as templates. It is quite handy and the shapes can be grouped or exploded. You can even export the drawings to your favorite 3D printer, laser cutter, or CNC device. Very simple and very free! See attached drawing examples.

Last edited:

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Closed??
Was there too much 'info' on that one?:rolleyes: so we have have yet another alternator thread ? :p. J/K

Warren

Gold forum user
Closed

The thread was closed as it was careening o/t just like the one with the beer comments. PM's are suggested for o/t banter and yes I need to remind myself of that too. :D

I have a big clunky MK2 style that with some sandblasting could look like cast iron. Jim you guys have a very nice solution. I like the metals link provided. Home Depot has crappy selection and other vendors are far away, and have minimum orders.

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
Personally I find it annoying and stupid when a thread gets locked when it goes o/t. I think the banter and whatever leads to better conversation and more ideas. Posts have never gone o/t to any extreme.

Oops, now I've done it again. Now this one needs to get locked. LOL

Tiger_DFT

New forum user
Great tip for bracket design. ...thanks!

Started a new thread because the old thread is closed. For those of you that need to fabricate new alternator mounts or other bits of fabrication, I thought I'd add this possibly helpful info.

If you aren't well versed in creating CAD drawings to aid in design of your project, you might be interested in a free and very simple CAD drawing program from Google called "Sketchup". You can buy the professional version or just download the free "maker" version. It is extremely easy to draw items in the FRONT view using geometric shapes then extend the 2D drawing into a 3D object that can be rotated, zoomed and then printed (in front view) on card stock for use as templates. It is quite handy and the shapes can be grouped or exploded. You can even export the drawings to your favorite 3D printer, laser cutter, or CNC device. Very simple and very free! See attached drawing examples.

Those attached pictures look terrific. For the last 10 years or so I have been getting closer and closer and closer to retiring my trusty old generator! This new thread might just provoke some action! Any chance you could email me those cad files...then I'll have one less excuse.

Cheers and all the very best for 2015.
David Tweddle
Busselton
West Australia.
davidandvarley@hotmail.com
Ps...we are coming over to the West Coast for a 12 week driving holiday (May 22 - Aug 22) visiting National Parks and various race meetings (Sonoma, Fontana, Portland OR, Bonneville, Laguna Seca).
Be really nice to catch up with any Tiger people at any of these events.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member

+1 on the Google Sketchup. I have been using the free version for a few years for 3d modeling of brackets and misc small parts. I export the images through vector cut3d and run them on a small CNC machine that I made from a harbor freight mill drill. When I catch up on projects (wishful thinking...) I plan on making a set of alternator brackets similar to the ones Duke has.

I would imagine that there are many machine shops that could manufacture these if you walked in with the properly formatted CAD file.

Cheers, -Kevin

Last edited:

eagleman1022

Silver forum user
CAT Member
alternator mounts

Here are the patterns that I am using for mounting of the 93mm Denso 6182 style alternator. Also a photo of rough cut pieces hanging on the engine. Also, some flying modifications were made by a stiff band saw blade. This design mounts the alternator a little higher than Dukes and the alternator is hanging from the pivot bolt rather than rocking on it.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Thanks for the info on the CAD site - there has been many times this would have come in handy. Now I need to get a 3D printer.....:)

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Here are the patterns that I am using for mounting of the 93mm Denso 6182 style alternator. Also a photo of rough cut pieces hanging on the engine. Also, some flying modifications were made by a stiff band saw blade. This design mounts the alternator a little higher than Dukes and the alternator is hanging from the pivot bolt rather than rocking on it.

I found another very simple mount today while looking at Tiger pics... This must be very tight to the head... especially on the passenger side but this fellow managed to get a Denso alt. in there for a very simple, compact install, hung from the top...