RRO and RHO?

eagleman1022

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I did search the forum archives, but could not fine a definition for RRO and RHO.
What do these mean as far as our Tigers?

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
It would actually be HRO... not RHO... ( second letter is always 'R' )

H Home market (England)
R Right hand drive export
L Left hand drive export

The second letter indicates:
R Roadster

The third letter indicates:
O Standard
X Non-standard
P Police specification

On Tigers, the final pair of letters are: FE - Ford Engine

Jim
B382000446 LRXFE

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
The one thing I don't understand is the difference between 'O' (standard) and 'X' ( non-standard ). I used to think maybe it had something to do with export cars.. but I've seen Vin#'s with LROFE ( Europe ) so that doesn't wash... I think some Euro cars had amber top tail lights ... but does anyone know the actual specification differences between 'O' and 'X' ??

Jim

eagleman1022

Silver forum user
CAT Member
RRO and RHO

Thanks, Jim
That explains how the system works so I'll be able to remember it. Now I can add my car's info to my signature and I'll actually know what it all means.

John
Virginia Beach, VA.
B9471602 LRXFE

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Maybe one is a GT and the other is not??? Just a guess. I originally thought it was L (left) R (roadster) X (export) FE (ford engine).

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It's not a GT designation, the Alpines that are GT's have it in their VIn ie : GT HRO... there were only a few (15 iirc) GT Tigers, and they were all very early on whereas all USA export Tigers and Alpines carry the LRX code

segrave

Gold forum user
Staff member
CAT Member
My number ends in LROFE. They were built to European specs for sale in LH drive countries. The last I heard there were 54 known and 7 in the US. The US cars came home with US servicemen. Norm says there is no record of how many LROFE cars were built. They are 100% Tigers but were sold with Alpine tags as Alpine 260's due to copyright issue with the Tiger name in Germany and France. You can see my fender badge which reads Alpine 260.

Steve

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
What I'm asking is... if an LRX and and an LRO rolled out of the factory one after the other and you compared the two, what would you find different if anything? I'm only surmising that there must be at least something different for there to be both 'X' and 'O' cars... being as they are both left hand drive export.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
My number ends in LROFE. They are 100% Tigers but were sold with Alpine tags as Alpine 260's due to copyright issue with the Tiger name in Germany and France. You can see my fender badge which reads Alpine 260.

Steve

This sounds like the tale of a Mustang I used to town--it was a 1967 T5. In Germany Ford could not use the name Mustang so they had to rebadge all the cars due to a German company owning the rights to the name.

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Another Variation

...And don't forget those few very early cars that do not have either of these designations...only a simple FE.

My Tiger is number 0033 which was right in the middle of about 8 cars that had only the FE suffix.

Jim

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
According to TBON, the differences between standard and non-standard Tigers:

-Amber upper tail-light lenses for standard cars (not legal at the time in the U.S.)
-"Alpine 260" badging instead of "Powered By Ford 260".
-Proper head lamps for driving on the opposite side of the road.
-A turn signal switch that allowed for flashing the headlights.
-Seat belts incorporating a shoulder strap.
-A single light to illuminate the license plate.

Norm also notes a few possible exceptions for other markets.

So, yes, it's possible to tell the difference between a standard and non-standard Tiger, although any of these identifying items could be easily deleted or added to a car.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
According to TBON, the differences between standard and non-standard Tigers:

-Amber upper tail-light lenses for standard cars (not legal at the time in the U.S.)
-"Alpine 260" badging instead of "Powered By Ford 260".
-Proper head lamps for driving on the opposite side of the road.
-A turn signal switch that allowed for flashing the headlights.
-Seat belts incorporating a shoulder strap.
-A single light to illuminate the license plate.

Norm also notes a few possible exceptions for other markets.

So, yes, it's possible to tell the difference between a standard and non-standard Tiger, although any of these identifying items could be easily deleted or added to a car.

Actually... he says ".. the differences between 'standard' and 'non standard' ... appears to be..."

I just wondered if anyone else had come across anything since ...
I know about the amber lights and other bits...
Headlamps for opposite side of road wouldn't be needed for LRO's as they are LHD ... they would just be different for 'H' and 'R' cars... oops forgot 'W' also

Hmmm... I'm getting the impression that the only 'X' cars are North America as even the S.A. cars are WR 'O'