Valve cover sticker

pushrod

Bronze forum user
I've managed to get hold of a new (blank) valve cover decal as mine was missing. What do I need to add to the decal as regards numbers? A photo would be appreciated.
Any suggestions on the best way to imprint the numbers as I'm worried that number/letter punches might pierce the decal.

Thanks

Lou.

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Red Herrng?

Is your Tiger early or late?

Better get some examples of your generation? Still will not be the original valve cover. Use the LAT valve cover? Considered "stock" and no numbers.

Rick

Warren

Gold forum user
Stage Dressing

Why dress the motor as the stock one? When you do look at the many of the stickers on cars you will see that many a set decorator has tried to provide a convincing scene, with various levels of success. I hated cleaning the chrome on mine when I had the stock covers with a poorly done sticker on it.
When the sticker started peeling off it was easy to rip it off and get the LAT ones even for a cheapskate like me.

George Simpson

Gold forum user
valve cover decal

I have always used the local trophy shop to laser valve cover decal (one light pass) for duplicate vin tag three heavy passes (all computerized they turn out perfect unlike origionals & have also copyed origionals because some folks consider perfect over restored

pushrod

Bronze forum user
Thanks guy's, the information was very helpful.

I'm assuming the engine number is not the same as on the VIN plate as mine just reads F21KAFE, as I understand the number stamped on the engine is in some difficult to reach area not visible while the engine is in place.

My Tigers a Mk1 and it's fairly standard still with the original 260 motor, gearbox and rear axle. Modifications are limted to unleaded heads, highlift cam, LAT headers, Holley, Edelbrock and Mallory distributor. It still has the pressed steel rocker/valve covers which is why I bought the replacement decal. Unfortunately the stock appearance is let down by an aftermarket air filter, which will probably have to remain as I can't justify the high cost of purchasing an original air filter housing.

Lou.

Warren

Gold forum user
Date

Under starter is a casting number, which is very general in dating.
There is a build date see pic on deck of head attached.
The serial number assigned by Rootes is to the left of your F21KA number.

There is no way of telling or proving that your engine is anything other that a period correct motor by its build date and its casting number.

Rootes made a mistake by applying a sticker to a valve cover, but back then engine numbers were not recorded with the vin any way in pre 1967 US vehicles.

George Simpson

Gold forum user
valve cover numbers & letters

B.T.W. correct valve cover numbers & letters mean nothing to most tigers now anyway motor swaps more horse power ect. thats why mine sez 19733028:5:1rvcam280hpFE (most of the time alumn. Tiger covers are on) sunbeam specialties sells new stamped steel chrome covers

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Engine #

Push

Actually there is no engine serial number on the Ford block. A casting number is above the starter but that is common to all blocks cast at the same time and displacement.

Rootes Group felt each Tiger needed a engine number and they did.

Check BON or go to Rootes1 (Norm) himself and you might get information on the number of the engine (actually the valve cover) :rolleyes: of your Tiger.

http://www.rootes1.com/

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I think the only 289 that has a vin # on it is the 289 hi po.( 6R09K.....) example

33z8lxx.png