British Electric Power Steering for Tiger

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
As I mentioned a few weeks ago in a post about our recent trip to the Rootes Archive, I was quite impressed with the Electric Power Steering (EPS) units I saw installed on several Tigers during our UK trip to the Rootes Archives.

It is not hydraulic. It is entirely electric and hides between the dash and the firewall. The engine compartment looks very stock.

Alpine owner Jim Ovens engineered a batch of power steering units for Alpines and Tigers. He made a very sweet product by combining Alpine steering columns and the EPS unit out of a Vauxhall Corsa B or C. The Tiger's column is removed and put on a shelf, unmolested.Corsas were sold in Europe in both LHD and RHD versions. His units use the EPS from RHD Corsas for RHD Tigers and LHD Corsa units work in LHD Tigers.

Corsas have been used for so many EPS conversions in Europe that there are commercially developed aftermarket "black boxes" available there that fool the electronics in the Corsa steering column into thinking it's still hooked up to a Corsa ECU. These boxes are even equipped with a pot that allows a driver to dial in the amount of assist that he likes. They cost around $75.

I've heard Jim used to sell his completed units, including the "black box", for 800 pounds. I don't know if he has any plans to make any more.

bt,
at the beach

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Next will be an auto tranny, electric windows and seats and a power chair to get you to the Tiger.

Socorob

Bronze forum user
In the hot rod world there's several. You can get flaming river and Ididit columns with it built in.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Buck... thanks for posting the pics and additional info...

Next will be an auto tranny, electric windows and seats and a power chair to get you to the Tiger.

Well... one of the 'protos' had an auto as do several others :( electric windows... seen that

How about A.C. ...? check! 5 speed?... check! stroker?... check! blower...? check! twin turbo...? check! custom front suspension...? check! rear discs...? check! etc. etc. ...

Geez, there must be some new frontier where no ones dared to go yet???:confused:

:D

Jim
B382000446

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Jim,

you forgot the couple of different routes that guys ave gone down for IRS both USA and Uk (not ot mention the factory did a de-dion prototype IRS)

i guess evetnualy someone will doa folding hardtop? :D

Duke.. I have less of an issue with someone engineering up a decent power steering system than working out the best way to add cup holders! at least they are doing something to assist with driving! :p

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
power

michael,
i know of several tigers and alpines that have well engineered drink holders that look like something the factory would have done. when you finally get around to buying a regular car,you'll find drink holders to be standard equipment.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Geez, there must be some new frontier where no ones dared to go yet???

Horn hole covers with spring loaded flap doors :D

002-44.jpg

http://catmbr.org/VB_forum/showthread.php?t=1601

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
In the hot rod world there's several. You can get flaming river and Ididit columns with it built in.

I've seen some of those after market steering columns at SEMA in past years, but I guess the sticker shock tempered my interest. I asked two friends to check out this year's show for new developments. I hope to hear something this week.

Unisteer has a column that's less than a thousand while some of the others are quite a bit more. Dale has one in his shop that I assume will be played with in the future.

However I've never seen any hot rod columns that come close to the stock look that Jim Ovens has achieved using Alpine donor columns.

Duke makes a good general point about. However I've seen my wife wrestling her Tiger into parking places. I think she'd really benefit from a nice power steering installation.

bt

Last edited:

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
I have no problem if someone wants to develop stuff for our cars. Perhaps I am the only one, but the cost of some of these "mods" are so big that I'll more likely do my own version rather than buy a ready-made solution. I have the luxury of not caring about originality in the slightest, however.

Of course, my first milestone will be to have a running car. :D

Tomaselli

Bronze forum user
I have the wee electric motor unit fitted on the Tiger, useful to show pics as the car (in the UK at least) has the steering wheel on the wrong side ;)

Pictures to give you an idea of the unit;

Actual complete unit from a Vauxhall Corsa

Pic2.jpg

Pic4.jpg

After the mods and grafting in the Alpine column to the top of the unit (Tiger unit safely stored)

Pic5.jpg

Pic6.jpg

Pic7.jpg

Pic8.jpg

Pic10.jpg

Custom lower shaft;

Pic9.jpg

Pic11.jpg

Last edited:

Tomaselli

Bronze forum user
Box of tricks;

Pic12.jpg

Before and after....

Pic15.jpg

Pic17.jpg

Pic18.jpg

Pic21.jpg

In situ...

Pic27.jpg

Pic28.jpg

Pic29.jpg

Showing the adjustment for the power steering load.

Pic30.jpg

Tomaselli

Bronze forum user
Nearly finished.

Pic31.jpg

Finished article,

Pic32.jpg

Pic33.jpg

PicFinished-1.jpg

Feedback: Useful conversion and an absolute breeze when parking, nimble for maneuvering around town, or applying opposite lock as quickly as you want :eek:

However, a dpwnside for me that unlike a hydraulic system the electric power steering unit gives very poor steering feedback at low to mid speeds.

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for sharing those great pictures. They show the quality of Jim's kit.
Here's a question: If the unit fails or a fuse blows, what is the resulting steering effort when compared to a stock Tiger?

thanks,
bt

Seabrook

Silver forum user
14 posts and no jokes about the wisdom of electric steering in a British car.

Admirable restraint! ;)

Tomaselli

Bronze forum user
Yes indeed, the quality of Jim's engineering genius is something to really appreciate close up. The fit is spot on and lines up beautifully. Fitting time is a couple of hours.

Forgot to mention, that I have the power steering fitted to the MG Midget quick rack setup.

If needed, I can help Jim with any enquiries from the US, as mine needed a LHD power steering rack from the Corsa. So to find suitable donor units I imagine that we would need to source them from Europe where Vauxhall marketed the car as 'Opel'

So be careful RHD kits from the UK will not fit your cars in the US.

Tiger2Dan

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Just saw this post on the EPS.....

I developed an EPS for the Sunbeam that is functional for the Alpine and the Tiger. My intent was to retain all of the original functions Rootes had for our SUnbeams. A very difficult tassk.

I was able to design working components so that the telescoping option can be retained. And if your Sunbeam does not have the telescoping option, it can be modified for that option utilizing my EPS.

Check out what I have done at: http://danr.mhartman.net/