Drop spindles?

AshUK

Silver forum user
Does anyone out there know which model Rootes Group car parts are utilised when lowering Tiger front spindles?

I have been told either late model Hillman Minx or Super Minx but would like to know for sure?:confused:

Many thanks
Ash

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Hillman Minx Series V & VI but NOT Super Minx !
Sunbeam Rapier Series IV & V
Singer Gazelle Series V & VI
Only found on U.K., N.Z., Oz. and Canadian cars
Minxes are badged 'Sunbeam' in Canada...

I've been sourcing these for a few years and just sold my last set...

They are getting very scarce.. at least around here :eek:

Jim
B382000446

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
They are still available down under, though getting harder to find parts hillmans these days

AshUK

Silver forum user
Hillman Minx Series V & VI but NOT Super Minx !
Sunbeam Rapier Series IV & V
Singer Gazelle Series V & VI
Only found on U.K., N.Z., Oz. and Canadian cars
Minxes are badged 'Sunbeam' in Canada...

I've been sourcing these for a few years and just sold my last set...

They are getting very scarce.. at least around here :eek:

Jim
B382000446

Fantastic!
Thanks Jim

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
OK, what is the big deal with DS? How much does it lower the front end (like there is much room between the earth and the oil pan as is)?

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Opinion #92-1/2

OK, what is the big deal with DS? How much does it lower the front end (like there is much room between the earth and the oil pan as is)?

From my ancient track experience; the old pros always taught me it was better to run the overall frame angle of a car uphill. Can't recall if the reason was ever explained, but the practice was consistent. I currently have a longer travel spring in the front suspension of old #78 and may consider the "look" of aiming her nosed-down a tad.:rolleyes: I should find a set of DS's for the shelf anyway.

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
It all depends upon what limits suspension travel.

If the limit is a suspension bump-stop, drop spindles will allow lowering ride height while using stock-height springs, and keeping stock suspension travel. This is advantageous in situations where lowering springs would have to be unacceptably stiff to avoid bottoming, and thereby contribute to ride harshness, and require stiffer damping. This is a common method used on trucks and SUVs, for example, as they typically have loads of wheel & tire clearance when stock.

If the limit is wheel rub, drop spindles don't help. They can make matters worse, but the list of variables grows large: tire size, wheel offset, suspension geometry, ackerman, etc.

If the limit is ground clearance, drop spindles definately hurt.

One little-discussed issue with drop spindles is that they typically increase the scrub radius of the front suspension (sometimes by quite a lot). This can be good or bad, but is usually bad on mass-produced vehicles, because they come from the factory with minimal SR to begin with. I haven't analyzed the Tiger suspension, but this is something to watch out for.