Toploader conversion

steven

Gold forum user
I have heard of tiger toploader transmissions being changed to wide ratio.
My Tiger has the standard HEH-E unit and I also have a HEH-P transmission. I know the mustang transmission is not a swop in however is there a procedure to change the gear sets over?

Steven

Last edited:

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If You Are Savvy

I have heard of tiger toploader transmissions being changed to wide ratio.
My Tiger has the standard HEH-E unit and I also have a HEH-P transmission. I know the mustang transmission is not a swop in however is there a procedure to change the gear sets over?

Steven

The cluster and matching gears are interchangeable as a matched set only. The answer is YES, but you must transfer the cluster and matching gears to the Tiger output shaft in sequenced assembly. The HEH-P has the older 25 spline output, whereas the Tiger's is 28 spline. Make sure you download a top loader parts print that can be expanded with clarity. The odd tool will be the fork set screw hex driver. Play patiently . . . . .

Warren

Gold forum user
We had just talked on this today

Gary aka Maliburevue has been in the habit of helping his fellow Tiger types.

Within the next couple of weeks we will be meeting and with Dave or other photographer in tow we will strive to make a idiots guide to the conversion:)

I am VW guy at heart so that's where I borrowed the title.
This pictorial spread is either a shop notes or Tigertales piece.

I have the list of req'd bits and vendor. I am also doing the 2.72 rear end and first gear swap as suggested.

Should you need shopping list right away or hurry up cause you are down under I can copy n paste it here if need be. Or use email option .

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Swap this & that

No hurry thank you. either option would be very appreciated.
Best Regards
Steven

If all goes well and the 2 trannys are healthy, a gear swap will result in one wide ratio Tiger 28 spline and one close ratio 25 spline Mustang/Galaxie/etc. The only purchase requirement being gasket & seals kits.

Maliburevue

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Toploader Gear Swap and Poor Man's Overdrive.

Steven, Randy,

I have done that exact Tiger (28 spline) close ratio with a Mustang (25 spline) wide ratio swap, albeit I installed a 2.90 first gear in place of the factory 2.78 first gear. I then sold the Mustang toploader.

This 2.90 first gear gives a fabulous hole shot, so low in fact that I am going to swap my 2.88 rearend gears for 2.72s. Compared to the original 2.32 close ratio first gear and 2.88 rearend gear, this final combination gives me a 20% lower first gear and a 6% overdrive at a fraction of the cost of a 5 speed, i.e. poor man's overdrive.

Total cost is ~$450 for new wide ratio parts including the 2.90 first gear. I sold my used close ratio parts for ~$250, so the conversion was pretty easy on the wallet and even easier on the clutch. I now fry my tires off the line, not my clutch, if you know what I mean.

I have personally done five of these Tiger toploader close ratio to wide ratio gear conversions with the 2.90 first gear using new wide ratio parts. I have sourced the part numbers and best prices. At present there are four additional Tigers owners with whom I am working (Warren being one of them), who are making this exact same transmission and rearend conversion. Several others are waiting in the wings for my time.

Gary

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
there is a toploader supply place in W.A ...

otherwise the USA suppliers, Dave Kee, TL heaven and others Summit etc.. all stock rebuild kits

Warren

Gold forum user
Gary's work

Below is a aforementioned compilation of the emails eBay and internet shopping list.

Vendors, Allstate Gear, Dan Williams Top loader only the 1st. gear.

DANA 44 JAGUAR FINE SPLINE PINION YOKE 26 SPLINE
rearendsonlyiwe eBay seller fine service for me on my part.

http://www.allstategear.com/Toploader.htm

You can buy all the gears from Allstate, except the 2.90 first gear. I also suggest you buy the gaskets and seals. These are the best prices I have found, even less than when I bought mine.
http://www.allstategear.com/Toploader.htm
2nd - WT296-21A - $59.10
3rd - WT296-11A - $57.60
Input shaft (4th) - WT296-16B - $82.10
Cluster gear - WT296-8A - $142.60
Gasket set - #WT296-55, $3.29
Front seal - #100252, $1.19
Rear seal - #GMS, $1.49

http://toploadertransmissions.com/

2.90 1st. gear from Dan Williams

Allstate gear is a real brick an mortar fast going concern. DWT is a good ol boy who picks up the phone and services one guy at a time, so place that order first.

It was suggested to purchase the gears from the 2 vendors as pricing was better. The price lists are very close as I recall with under .50 cent differences.

Thanks Gary, I had this on my recent desktop and thought I'd be a good helper. What'd I forget?

Maliburevue

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Toploader Parts and Prices

Warren has posted my list of part numbers with the best prices I have found. These prices are even less than when I initially did some of my conversions.

David Kee used to supply the 2.90 first gear, but has decided not to stock them any more due to limited interest, so Dan Williams is the only source I have found for them. Tell him you ONLY want the 2.90 first gear or he will try to sell you the whole package at his higher prices.

For those who wish to install the poor man's overdrive, the 2.72 rearend gears use a 26 spline pinion as opposed to the original stock 10 spline pinion gear. The pinion flange from IWE rearends is identical to the orignal stock pinion flange, except it has 26 splines. It is actually a Jaguar flange. The 26 pinion spline flange from SS attaches directly to the Tiger driveshaft and requires removing the rear driveshaft flange. Personally I prefer the stock look and ease of assembly and disassembly of the Jag flange.

Gary

Warren

Gold forum user
Yes Sensei

Wax on wax off, :)

Wow all I can add is if you can chat up NASCAR to the good ol boy , he may rush your order.