1” sway bar and bushings

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yes it happens often!
And the worse the bar fits the more often the slots tear out.
By worse "fit" I mean how precisely an unmounted bar follows the contour of the lower control arms. Place the bar directly on the A-arms and shine a light from the opposite side. The more light you can see between the bar and the arm, the worse the fit.

It is hard to believe but it is (relatively) easy to adjust a bar so it fits better. The sway bar bends will actually straighten out a bit when you smash them hard against pavement. The owner of a huge bending shop showed me how to do this decades ago. You do have to use a good deal of force, sort of like the force you'd use to spit a really big piece of firewood with an axe. With a little work you can get a really great fit that almost blocks all the light.

Incidently, have around 15K road miles on a set of unreinforced A-arms using a 1" CrMo bar. No problems. One of these days I'll do something about reinforcing the slots or more likely build heavier mounts like the ones shown in the CAT Shop Notes. (I think its easier to install those mounts than the stock ones.)

Maybe 20 years we did a group purchase on 1" CrMo bars and bushings. We sourced the bushings then from SuperPro in Australia. They were excellent and were then available in both a stock and race durometers. On the street I liked to use the both. I put the race bushings at the ends of the bar and the street bushings in the middle.

Buck Trippel

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
What Buck said.

Bottom line, IF you have to fight the bar to install it,

It is more likely to rip out the mounting brackets.

Adjust the bar so it installs with little to NO effort.

It may require a press to "Fit" the bar but it is worth the effort.

ALSO, install the bar at normal ride height.

DW

Last edited:

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
One opton is to have a bar custom made, according to your specs. That way, you could even have it made from a 1" tube made, instead of a solid bar, which would reduce some weight. Look for a place which does metal bending. One place I have heard of, but not done any business with, is Sante Fe Bending in Paramont, CA.