1954 Alpine on craigslist

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
VIN
unknown
I had no idea so few of these were exported to the U.S., 64 according to this ad. No wonder you never see them. It's in Huntsville, AL

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/d/meridianville-1954-sunbeam-alpine/7654158035.html

Cool hood louvres

00u0u_j3hGR8Ez40i_0xy0pa_600x450.jpg
00B0B_5rih4Q9jDEu_0xy0pa_600x450.jpg

00e0e_5CTImCvvXsZ_0xy0pa_600x450.jpg
01111_focTEHiT5O0_0xy0pa_600x450.jpg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I had no idea so few of these were exported to the U.S., 64 according to this ad. No wonder you never see them. It's in Huntsville, AL

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/d/meridianville-1954-sunbeam-alpine/7654158035.html

Cool hood louvres
Well.... Don't believe everything you read ....the seller clearly doesn't know much about the cars.

The cars were only column shift, so no factory 4 speed floor shift. There was a period Hartwell floorshift conversion...but less likely to see that stateside. Normally the floor shift indicates a gearbox swap.

As for only 64 in USA... Maybe they mean in 1954.. or in that colour .. but for sure more than that came stateside... It was a sales flop.....but not that big of a flop.

Car has the optional rev counter that was standard on the later 55 alpine mkiii that also had the wing vents....

At 60k ...think they are on a wing and a prayer... And I'd love to see where mark alpines without rally history or in concourse condition are bringing 100k+

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Have you ever driven one of these with a column shift? I have and converting to a floor shift would be a priority for me after swapping out the steering wheel to a smaller piece. I know of a couple with the floor conversion and also some Talbot 90's. Start high and end up at a selling price at or near what you want.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I've driven mark alpines and Talbots with column, period Hartwell floor shift, rootes 60s OD floor shift boxes and Toyota 5 speeds...
If the factory cars with column shifts could win their class on the Monty... I'm sure if someone bought one after long enough they could work out how to drive a car in and out of a trailer with some practice.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I've driven mark alpines and Talbots with column, period Hartwell floor shift, rootes 60s OD floor shift boxes and Toyota 5 speeds...
If the factory cars with column shifts could win their class on the Monty... I'm sure if someone bought one after long enough they could work out how to drive a car in and out of a trailer with some practice.
Stop by the upcoming TE/AE United and check out the number of trailers in attendance. We need to organize a challenge to see which owner can load their car in the least time.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Have you ever driven one of these with a column shift? I have and converting to a floor shift would be a priority for me after swapping out the steering wheel to a smaller piece. I know of a couple with the floor conversion and also some Talbot 90's. Start high and end up at a selling price at or near what you want.
Yes I have... My father is on his 3rd Sunbeam Talbot. in his case a '53 DHC 90. all of the column shifts were the same. Not a big deal when you get used to them. I've grown up with these cars.

All of the Rootes 4 speed gearboxes will fit as they all have the same bolt pattern. The best to install would be a full syncro series 5 Alpine gearbox!

There is no way on God's green earth that the car will ever fetch $60K, even with a no expense spared restoration.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The sales game works by starting high and negotiating down to what you want and sometimes more than what you want.