4 sp top loader issues

grantstigers

Bronze forum user
After 10 years working on the 66 tiger I finally had the chance to take if for a short ride down the block. Its a Dart 302 stroked to a 347 and is running webers. It was dyno'd at 438 Hp and 450 lbs of torque.
The car is on steroids. Maybe a bit too much to handle.

The issue I have is I didn't install the engine or tranny into the car. I had a couple of enthusiastic motor head guys put it in. They did hook everything up with electric water pump and fans for the rad etc. Basically I wanted a running car.

I have a top loader factory 4 sp tranny
The problem I found out is. First gear is second and second gear is first gear.
When I thought I was in First gear I shifted down to second and the rpm went up, basically down shifting.

Did they mistakenly installed the transmission rod levers wrong. If so can someone tell me what to do to make it right completely. When I was in third basically idle ling down the street I lightly tapped on the peddle and I and broke the rear tires loose (detroit locker rear end)( wet pants!!!) I didn't even try shifting into 4th just wanted to get it home and figure out the transmission issue.

So maybe 3rd is 4th and 4th is third??

I will have to jack up the car and put it on blocks and do the repairs. Any help is appreciated in a step by step process to make it right. I am not a mechanic, just a Tiger hobbyist with an over grown steroid motor.

Thanks, Grant
emails to grantwong@telus.net

Last edited:

tiger260

Gold forum user
I suspect that they have attached the lever for 1st and 2nd upsidedown.

Your gearchange levers should look like this...

1st and 2nd are engaged by the rear most lever.
If you undo the nut, turn the lever the other way up, it should work.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
PS

FYI: Since you say you're not mech savvy, please note that the slot in the tranny levers has a particular position requirement. Examine the photo carefully so that the piece goes exactly on as it appears. Staring at it from beneath can cloud the perception. . . . .

grantstigers

Bronze forum user
Thank you Oneoffive and tiger 260
I will go under the car this weekend with the picture as per your post and figure it out.

I also have to change the rear inner axle seal. Left side. But might as well do the right side too.
I recall taking off the axle about 15 years ago on another tiger. I just don't remember what I did.
Do I have to unbolt the rear end cover to unlock? a pin so the rear axles can pull out??
If I recall it is just a matter of taking the rear brake stuff off and there is a big nut holding the axle in place. Just unbolt the nut and pull the axle shaft out??

Again any help is appreciated.
Thanks, Grant

grantstigers

Bronze forum user

Hello Tiger 260 and Oneoffive

I did switch the levers as pictured and now I have the first and second correctly engaged.

While taking it out for a little spin I then noticed the 3rd was difficult to engage.
Looking at the picture again. The lowest shift bottom rod in the picture is not configured like mine. Again the lever was pointing downward as my first to second gear. Is this wrong on my transmission. Should my set up be exactly as the one in the picture.

If it is wrong, I actually tried to set the lever the same as the one in the picture however when putting the lever on the rod will not engage in the lever hole due to space in the tunnel. I then installed the rod on the lever and tried to put the lever on the tranny bolt but it won't work due to space in the tunnel.

The only option I have is to drop the tranny or use a auto body bar and press the tunnel in a bit so I can put the lever on to the tranny.
Any suggestions is again appreciated.

Dropping the tanny is not what I really want to do.

Or is the long rod actually installed correctly?? lever pointed down ward

Also when driving the car I had to stop it and I can put it in third third or 4th and slowly let out the clutch and chug along back home.

Again your help or from any tiger members is appreciated.

Thanks, Grant
grantwong@telus.net

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Hi Grant,

I had much the same problem with that forward most lever after I got the trans in my car. We had inadvertently hooked up the linkage with the lever pointed down before putting the trans in the car.

First, just to confirm the accuracy of tiger260's pic, have a look at page 4 Section G of the factory workshop manual. They show the same things.

I was able to get my lever re-positioned correctly, but it was very tight. I seem to remember taking the lever off the shaft and rotating the shaft with a small crescent wrench. I think I turned it so that the top of the rectangular tip was forward. Since the tunnel is somewhat cone shaped, there is a little more wiggle room toward the engine side of the tunnel when trying to get the lever pointing up. I think I was able to get things reattached in that position. I then pulled back on the rod so that the tip of the lever faced rearward as shown in the pics and reattached the shift rod to the shifter mechanism. Fortunately things stayed in adjustment for me.

I am thinking something like that or a variation on the theme might work for you. I definitely remember at least at some point using that wrench to reorient the shaft that comes out of the side of the trans in order to get room to attach things properly. Of course it is quite possible I tried that but it did not help. At least it was part of the sequence of events and might be of some value to your efforts.

I wish I could be more definitive on how to get this done. I know I did manage to do it without pulling the motor and trans again, so it can be done.

I hope there is some help somewhere in all of that for you.

Gene

PS: I just wanted to add that you should be sure the tip of the lever is offset toward the side of the trans as shown in the pics and not away from it for maximum clearance of the shift rod tip to the side of the trans tunnel.

Last edited:

grantstigers

Bronze forum user
Hello cadreamn67
Thanks for your help
I managed to find my work shop manual you are correct as to the configuration from the posting from tiger 260 and last night I was thinking of the same idea of using a cresent wrench and rotating the shifter shaft as you spoke of.
I will try it later and keep you posted.
I have no idea why the guys that installed it did not look at the set up from the beginning. I think with the car being there so long they just wanted to get the engine in and have it fired up and running.

Thanks, Grant

Last edited: