5 speed clutch throw issues?

67tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Not sure anyone here would have the right answer to my problem. I've got an old school 5 speed setup in my Tiger with about 300 miles on it and I love everything about it. However, the clutch throw, lack of modulation and the fact my clutch fork to where it meets slave push rod (totally extend to the max) sits back about a .25 or more from being parallel with the face of the TB as it meets the clutch fingers. I'm ready to go to a HTB if I can't figure this out, but I would like to keep all the hydraulics on the outside of the car for easy service. Any help would be greatly appreciate I'm prepping for an engine and transmission drop this week. Hope to get some answers today! Cheers

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It sounds like a clutch issue.

Usually, the geomity of the clutch arm, etc, is less of a problem than the posible issues with the disc and Pressure plate.

IF you DIDN'T change any clutch parts with your 5 sp install, sounds like a pressure plate problem.

If the PP has an issue, it usually takes more travel to disengage the clutch.

IF you changed the disc and PP, it sounds like the disc has too much "Marcell"

The Marcell is the wavy part between the friction material, that gives the clutch a smoother action.

However, IF there is too much compressibility, too much peddle travel is used up to disengage the clutch,

And the clutch engages too close to the floor.

IF the only problem is the engagement point, a quick "fix" is to install an OVER sized clutch master cylinder.

It gives you more travel at the clutch PP with the same movement of the peddle.

This will raise the engagement point off the floor.

However, the trade off is a higher peddle effort.