6 Bolt Bellhousing

Brigand

Silver forum user
My Tiger is fitted with a 6 bolt 289. It also has a scatter shield fitted which I would like to change for a standard bell housing. What bell housing should I be looking for Mustang? Fairlane? Or did the Tiger have a unique bell housing?

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Educate Yerself a bit

My Tiger is fitted with a 6 bolt 289. It also has a scatter shield fitted which I would like to change for a standard bell housing. What bell housing should I be looking for Mustang? Fairlane? Or did the Tiger have a unique bell housing?

The stock Ford mustang(etc.) aluminum 6-bolt bell had two distinct tranny bolt patterns. The narrow case mount being the more common in a Tiger. Most bells that you unearth will be the later spread bolt pattern. We have modified many of these for owners with the narrow case tranny. Keep in mind that it must be dead center; you can't simply drill holes and bolt them up. Ergo, the reason most 6-bolt replacements end up with a multi-pattern scatter stamping.

Attachments

• Bellhousing conversion 001.JPG
    Bellhousing conversion 001.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 160
  • Bellhousing conversion 002.JPG
    Bellhousing conversion 002.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 174

Warren

Gold forum user
Early vs late

Mk2's have the wide eared top loader . Search the forum as the info is sprinkled here and there. Lot's of guys drill and weld em up. There are several threads on this topic in search drop down keyword bell housing

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Most 6 bolt ....

...Bellhousings will be for wide bolt pattern trans mounting.

But just a quick note,

the thing you need to look out for, when looking for a bellhousing, is the Starter position,

and THIS starts the learning curve of 6 bolt bellhousings, and parts to make it all work.

The Starter position needs to match the flywheel size/tooth count.

(and the starter needs to match the bellhousing/flywheel...)

The common 6 bolt bellhousing flywheels are 157 or 164 teeth.

It's tough, at a glance, to know what the starter position is, on any given 6 bolt bellhousing.

And then there is the block plate that goes between the engine block and bellhousing, that needs to match the bellhousing.

I'll let you continue the learning, elsewhere.