A GT350 or a Tiger?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I found their assesment of the tiger "interesting" ... Be surprised that a Tiger would be showing scuttle shake, is fussy and highly strung... Seems like they like mustangs as they dont have to explain to people what they are.... If thats the criteria for enjoyment of car ownership... I better go buy a toyota or f150..

Anyway... At least was fun to watch and listen to the tiger.. If not the somewhat puzzling assessment.

Last edited:

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
tiger

It would be nice to have both in your garage. Tim must be happy with both cars since he's owned both of them for quite awhile.

Warren

Gold forum user
Interesting

Looks like an Alfa in the background.
So it's 2 roadsters to one cage.
Looks to be a tweaked Tiger with way more HP than stock. I like the fastback cars but the comparison is really an apple and an orange. The track versus autocross car is a good comparison.. but it's like surfboards you don't see many guys older with little short boards anymore you see them with the mature big boards. Or the same is true on motorcycles not a lot of older guys on anything with big cruisy BMWs. Let's do a movie quote, " which car will it be today Mr. Wayne," Alfred in Wayne manor Batman...

* Cage slang for car with hardtop in motorcycle speak.A Tiger is semi-cage free :)

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The Cat is out of the bag

I didn't want to comment on it to start, but....

I still have my high school 1965 Fastback Mustang that I have not driven in over 45 years.

So I guess I'm going against the grain messing with Tigers, for the last 40+ years.

:------

I noticed a small bit of wheel hop as well...

I guess he doesn't have a U-know what...

DW

TAH_Tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
GT350 vs Tiger

I prefer my cars "fussy and highly strung", so I guess that's why I prefer my 1967 Tiger over my 1967 Mustang GT390

That Tiger was part of a Classic Motorsport restoration series and I saw it at the Maryland United in 2013. Very nice car.

KenF

Gold forum user
Yeah, interesting takes on the cars. Seemed the Tiger had a pretty healthy motor which kept the comparison more even. And the 67 Shelby is always great looking, especially if the fiberglass fits good, even when side stripes are installed wrong for a 67 as in video. But having owned a 66 GT-350 for 35 years, and a Tiger for 1 year (i.e. a stock slug Tiger), I have to agree the Shelby is a better drive. Then again, I haven't driven a Tiger with 289HP motor or similar either. The Tiger is cool and I love it, but I miss my old ride sometimes. :)

Attachments

• 20150816_110015.jpg
    20150816_110015.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 82

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I didn't want to comment on it to start, but....

I still have my high school 1965 Fastback Mustang that I have not driven in over 45 years.

So I guess I'm going against the grain messing with Tigers, for the last 40+ years.

:------

I noticed a small bit of wheel hop as well...

I guess he doesn't have a U-know what...

DW

Dan just because he gets some axle tramp doesn't mean he hasn't got one of your torque arms.... I can still get axle tramp if i mash the throttle and i bought your torque arm....

I haven't fitted it still.... Oh wait..... :eek: :rolleyes:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
They are certainty different cars.. As a side note the open v closed discussion...a Tiger can be both.. The hardtop does a very. Good job of transforming the car into a notch back to use mustang terms..

I get they are different cars but many comments made me wonder how objective those guys were. I've not seen mustangs as a step up in Quality over a Tiger.. In fit finish or materials.. Heck the tiger seats are much nicer than the stang stuff.. Same gor gauges dash etc...

The ' box and motor should be the same.

A gt350 is probably tied down quite well...but the mustangs ive driven while poweful were very wallowy in the handling department.

Id love a gt350 stang...love the exteiror looks.. Love the sound and driveline (that's no shock) ... But i see them as different cars.. I would prefer a tiger stock or warmed over a stock or warmed stang ....

A legit GT350... That would be tempting...but for different reasons

Thats my .02 .... And we all have out own opinions and preferences.... Both cars would be fun

CobraTiger

Silver forum user
Have coveted Tiger ownership for 30 odd years, I finally bought a a TAC'd RHD Mk1 3 years ago and on a whim, bought a LHD 1966 Mustang fastback 2 years ago. Both have 289's and drive and perform completely differently. They both have their charms and if your a true car enthusiast you will enjoy both for the own unique characteristics. I do anyway.

Having said that, my 1975 Jensen Healey, which Ive owned for 45 years has superior handling and is far more comfortable than the Tiger and Mustang but I love them all

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Having said that, my 1975 Jensen Healey, which Ive owned for 45 years has superior handling and is far more comfortable than the Tiger and Mustang but I love them all

Which gearbox havr you got in the JH... The 4 speed rootes one or the 5 speed box?

JH arean intersting car.. Friend used to have one... surprisingly competent And reliable.. But on his at least the softtop was like a gesture at weather protection :p

CobraTiger

Silver forum user
Michael, the JH is a big bumper Mk II that should of had the 5 speed Getrag though mine came with the 4 speed Avenger/Hilman Hunter. Probably because they had a surplus and needed to use them up before the 5 speed switch.

After having the 4 speed out too many times than I care to remember with broken synchos, bent layshafts, bearing failures, I followed up on a mod that the USA Jensen club had developed and switched to a 5 speed Toyota Celica box. That was over 25 years ago and never had an inch of trouble. The rootes gearbox just couldn't take the power. I still have 2 of those boat anchors in my factory.

moonstone SIV

Bronze forum user
"Boat anchors..." ? That's a bit harsh Theo.

The Rootes all synchro 4 speed and J type overdrive combo was quite robust enough for it's intended purpose and would readily cover 100k miles before a rebuild if sensibly driven with regular oil changes.

Just be thankful that Jensen didn't choose the 5 speed trans used in the Alfa 105 series of the same vintage, also with a power plant rated around 140HP. Premature sychro wear, jumping out of gear and layshaft rattles all part of the Italian Experience with those...!

Dancin

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I've owned both a shelby and a couple tigers for over a dozen years and both are distinctly different in driving experience, both enjoyable in their own right. Its great to see the attention of both cars are getting.

Thanks for sharing the video!

Dan

steven

Gold forum user
Michael, the JH is a big bumper Mk II that should of had the 5 speed Getrag though mine came with the 4 speed Avenger/Hilman Hunter. Probably because they had a surplus and needed to use them up before the 5 speed switch.

After having the 4 speed out too many times than I care to remember with broken synchos, bent layshafts, bearing failures, I followed up on a mod that the USA Jensen club had developed and switched to a 5 speed Toyota Celica box. That was over 25 years ago and never had an inch of trouble. The rootes gearbox just couldn't take the power. I still have 2 of those boat anchors in my factory.

I here you. when I rebuilt my Alpine with a Holbay engine the standard 4 speed did not work. (it needed a new clutch anyway.) So in with the Celica 5 speed, competition Toyota clutch and it has been working very well for the 10 years I have had the car.

Last edited:

maxwell smart

Bronze forum user
I have video of Carroll saying he would rather have a Tiger than a GT350. He said he liked the sleeper quality of the Tiger. Hard to disagree with the creator himself!

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
likewise

When Carroll autographed my Tiger in '93 at the track day in Willow Springs he told me he'd rather drive his Tiger than his Cobra- said the Tiger was a better driver!

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Carroll was a marketing man... Always said what was needed to keep the faithful happy....
But they are fun quotes anyway. :D

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Carroll was a marketing man... Always said what was needed to keep the faithful happy....
But they are fun quotes anyway. :D

I get that, but, it was a Cobra track day, and we were surrounded by Cobra owners while Carroll was talking to me!