Accessing Drawings

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Archive Drawing Access

The way I access drawings is to send an email to an Archive Trustee describing what I'm looking for. The better information I can give, the better chance I have of finding what I want. Rootes used the same number for a drawing number that it assigned as the part number. So if I were interested in a drawing of a part I'd first go to the Tiger Parts Manual and find its number. I'd include that number with my request. If they can find it, they usually will then email it to me if it was for my personal use. (Commercial purposes would require some additional discussion.) Most of the their scanned drawings are about 15mb.

It's my personal observation that the Archive scanning and digitizing program had to take a back seat to the much more pressing tasks of raising funds for the new building and then moving in. Scanning is now getting back on track but suffers from very limited manpower. Cataloging the scans is in it's infancy.

The archive has about two hundred thousand drawings on Aperture Cards (which are IBM punch cards with a 35mm B&W microfiche mounted on the card). So if someone requests a drawing of a widget from a Trustee, it's impossible to conceive that anyone will go through every card looking for that widget. (If it's even there to begin with.) Two Hundred thousand is an awfully big hay stack.

It's quicker to access a drawing that has been scanned but these, like the cards, are currently only filed by drawing number. Eventually these scans will be cataloged or indexed. But that task is in its earliest stages with only about a thousand (half a percent) suitably cataloged.

So to get around this, a number of us have traveled to the Archive to do our own research there. Some will be going over again in a few months. We will also be volunteering to help with scanning but the Trustees could certainly use a lot more help that just us. I estimate about 10% of the drawings have now been scanned and have mentioned only a half of a percent have been cataloged.

Once cataloging has been accomplished it should be much easier to locate drawings with electronic searches.

I have been working on a completely different method to access a small number of drawings by relating them to different parts of the vehicle. Tom Hall has been working along the same lines, essentially developing tags for drawings with those tags relating to parts of the car. We will continue that work in he UK in a few months.

You can find the email contact information for the Trustees on the Archive's website at https://www.rootesarchive.org/trustees/

good luck,

bt
at the beach

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
archives

Buck,
I've tried several times today to pull up the archives web site. It now takes you to an unrelated site. I'm wanting to order a heritage certificate and don't have Bob Allan's e mail. Any ideas?????

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bob,

I'll reply directly to you by Private Email.
I have reported the access problem to the Archive Trustees.

However, generally, there has been a history of some confusing a TAC certificate with an Archive Heritage Certificate. The Archive Trustees are aware of this confusion and certainly don't want their Heritage Certificate to be used in a manner that implies that a car is authentic in the TAC sense. It doesn't. You don't even need a car to get a Heritage Certificate. You don't need a chassis. You don't need a pile of parts. You only need a VIN number.

The Archive Heritage Certificate is basically a generalized description of a car model customized by adding details from Rootes' records relating to the particular serial number involved. In the case of Tigers, the information comes from the Jensen Ledgers.

No examination of the vehicle is performed. And there is absolutely no representation as to authenticity.

Buck Trippel

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
drawings

Buck,
My purpose for the certificate is for just general info concerning my Alpines and Harringtons. We were at the Mid Ohio SVRA this past week and the RHD LeMans drew a lot of attention while parked in the show area. I had gobs of folks asking about the heritage certificate displayed on the windshield. I need to get the certificate for the other two Harringtons and our three Alpines. FYI, Bob found some interesting info about the RHD LeMans.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
sample?

Buck, the link now works, but I don't see the 'sample' they are referring to on the page. How does one access the sample? Kirk