AFR Renegade Cylinder Head Valve cover mounting height

Too Tech

Bronze forum user
Has anyone used the AFR Renegade (165cc)(PN 1399) in their Tiger?? If so do the valve covers still mount at the same height with respect to the block as the stock heads?
My concern is that they may have raised the Valve Cover Mounting Surface. (The factory Rep at AFR can not answer this question...)
In our Tigers it is tricky to remove the valve cover with stock heads, and if they raise the mounting surface it only gets worse.
FYI - The Trick Flow 11-R 170cc Head has raised the valve cover mounting surface by .54". These heads have great flow numbers and Dyno'd HP of 432 in a 306 Small Block. But I think the engine would need to be dropped to remove a valve cover.....
Any thoughts or experience

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I am using the AFR Renegade 185 cc heads with the popular aluminum valve covers. I haven't tried to remove a cover with the engine installed. If you want I could measure the distance from the top of the valve cover to the bottom of the closest interference to the body. I don't know what clearance the stock heads have. I have been happy with the AFR heads with my 331 roller block. Cliff

Too Tech

Bronze forum user
Cliff, thanks for the offer. It is hard to get a good 'valve cover rail height' measurement with the heads in place. I finally got someone at AFR to measure their AFR Renegade 11 R 165cc head - Part # 1399.

The stock cast head short side measures 3.275" & long side 4.035"
The AFR #1399 (165cc Intake ) measures 3.304" & long side 4.065"
So I would consider this close enough to stock.
Hope this helps someone else thinking about using Aluminum Heads.

CobraTiger

Silver forum user
I have just purchased a Windsor 347 (302 block) with AFR 185 Renegade Heads and see in this thread that some members are using the Tiger LAT valve covers as being sold by SS and I also want to go down that path as the engine comes with tall valve covers.

The SS catalogue states that if using roller rockers, best to install specific felpro "tall" gaskets.

Can anyone advise of their experience and will the LAT valve covers fit and clear the roller rockers?

Warren

Gold forum user
Depends

On some things like motor mounts.
At least that's what the old posts say.
Plus the breather baffle needs to be removed. Thought my .02 was applicable as librarian here :)