Archive Heritage Certificate

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I've received the Heritage certificates for two of my cars. I have them coming for the rest of my cars. All of my cars are either Alpines or Alpine conversions by Harrington. For those that haven't seen them I attached a copy of one of the certificates.

Attachments

• img002.jpg
    img002.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 249

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
IBob's post is a good heads up to all thinking about the heritage certificates.

The Rootes archive is a great resource to the marque and doing some really great work. They need support and with a lower GBP good timing for donations. When you donate you get a newsletter from them letting you know whats coming to light through the research and cataloguing.

The certificates are some fun for owners with some basic info on the cars. Aparently they will send a draft copy to you for review before they issue it. Its a good idea to review carefully as errors like the compression spec in the above sheet are unfortunate.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
certificate

You may want to take into consideration that the certificate shows the history of the cars. That's my reason for spending my money for the certificates. It verifies things I already know. The records were probably hand written since the cars were built prior to the tech world we now live in. It doesn't matter to me if someone down the street or in your case 10000 miles away thinks that they have a better knowledge of the car than the records at the Archive. I'm sure that the Archive uses the records to work from. I was there back in the 60's when Dad signed the loan papers and we drove the car home. The car is what it is which means that it's my car. I'm confident that the money I pay the Archive for these certificates whether they're right or wrong goes towards a good cause. This photo shows what the car looks like today after Doug Jennings restored the body in 2013. It now has a hard top and various other additions since the car left Byers in Columbus, Ohio. I hope I'm not the only person to get these certificates. If there are others maybe they can chime in.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
certificate

Photo didn't show

Attachments

• 107_0993.JPG
    107_0993.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 141
Last edited:

Warren

Gold forum user
Hmm

Even though they had typewriters, they were handwritten as the ledger pages have ? marks on them and as it was pointed out to me once by a ledger holder, " More than one Tiger has the same rear axle number." Today it is no different people still make miss steaks :)

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Heritage certificates

I wonder if the Trust archives will ever uncover info that goes along with this info that states what date the cars were shipped out, what ship, what port of entry they came to, perhaps even what dealer etc. Healey’s and Jags have this and I bet a lot of owners would find this trivial bit of info interesting to add to their cars history. Does anyone know if this info exists in the treasure trove of info? The archives could do well financially by adding this and selling to interested owners. Any thoughts?
Brian

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
certificate

Warren,
It was a different time. The certificate in question shows an item used that wasn't standard just as you mentioned for the mix up for Tigers. As I said I was there when Dad bought the car in the 60's and the certificate verifies info we already knew. The car was one of 58 built Christmas week of 1964 and shows the selling dealer and the dealer location. I can give you a list of items on the car that we found over the years that weren't standard series 4 items. Was this due to the time that the car was built? I support the Archive and accept possible paper work mistakes made by Rootes employees in the 60's. That's life ! I posted the certificate to show one service the Archive has made available to owners. My intention is that I'll soon have them for all of my cars. I'm looking forward to comparing info concerning my three Harringtons. Are there any other items that the Archive can supply?

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
certificate

That's a sweet lookin' crittah fer a rust belt car . . . . . . .

Randy,
It didn't always look like that. This photo shows the panel we bought from you back in 2010. Doug had to add more metal above your panel to eliminate working dents from the past. He replaced most of the right rear fender, made a front valance using Martels valance top and the list goes on. It shares the garage with our other cars. Doug restored the blue car using a car I hauled back from California and had his hands in on the two white cars. I bought the red car from Tiger Tom back in 1982.

Attachments

• 110_0724.JPG
    110_0724.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 137
  • 100_0545.JPG
    100_0545.JPG
    362 KB · Views: 117
  • 105_0010.JPG
    105_0010.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 120
  • 100_0192.JPG
    100_0192.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 135

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
certificate

Randy,
The photo of the panel didn't show. This is off the subject of the original post but this probably makes sense to you.

Attachments

• 100_0501.JPG
    100_0501.JPG
    219.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 100_0500.JPG
    100_0500.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 148

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
certificate

Randy,
I remember looking at what was left of Reg's car before he hauled it to you and shaking my head. You not only had to deal with rust but also fiberglass repairs.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The swamp car

Randy,
I remember looking at what was left of Reg's car before he hauled it to you and shaking my head. You not only had to deal with rust but also fiberglass repairs.

I think Doug was a bit surprised by that challenge. It's the first time the lads had ever seen an actual water line across the firewall.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
certificate

Three of my cars started life as Alpines before conversion by Harrington. We have one that started life as a UK spec Alpine before the conversion by Harrington. The certificate shows that the Alpine did not receive a registration number when it left the assembly line. I had the certificate with us in Wisconsin and I discussed this with Roger from the Archive while we were in Wisconsin and he said it was strange that there was no registration assigned unless after the conversion the car was used by Rootes for some reason. We should have the certificate soon for the wife's series 5. We bought the car from one of SS's long time customers in the bay area and we're hoping the certificate shows the original selling dealer. Here's before and after photos of the Harrington for Randy.

Attachments

• 100_0621.JPG
    100_0621.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 122
  • 110_0724.JPG
    110_0724.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 127

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
certificate

It was mentioned in a previous post that a sample of what the certificate will show is sent to the owner. These photos show what is received from the Archive including the sample along with the certified document. Keep in mind that this shows the car info when it was originally built.

Attachments

• img004.jpg
    img004.jpg
    676.8 KB · Views: 185
  • img005.jpg
    img005.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 207
  • img006.jpg
    img006.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 179