ARW Tire Size

gmrnow

Bronze forum user
Hello
I have two sets of original 13" American Racing Wheels that were made for the Tiger. At some point I want to put tires on them. What size tire works best?
Thank you.

chirodoc

Gold forum user
13 IN TIRE SIZES

It's not a matter of what is best, but whats available and how big is your wallet.
All 13 in tires are from overseas. Toyo's are probably the best hi performance tire. but are the most expensive, and go away the quickest because they are street and track tire.
ROGER

gmrnow

Bronze forum user
Thanks Roger. I have to start scraping some money together before I buy. My LAT 70's have 185/70's on them. Is this the same size I buy for the American Racing Wheels? They are 5.5" across. I know I will have to get tubes for them also. I might as well start looking now. It may take awhile to locate sets.

Thanks again.

chirodoc

Gold forum user
13 in tires

If your budget can't handle the $170 per tire Toyos, Tires Easy has a somewhat performance tire, Federal SS (185-60-13) for $60 per Tire. I prefer the lower profile of the 60 series tire vs the 70 series. 205-60 -13s look good on 7 in rims.

gmrnow

Bronze forum user
Thanks Roger. Probably won't be this summer I get them, hopefully next year. I will most likely order them online, so I want to make sure I get it right. Probably a good idea to get the wheels tested to make sure they are sound before I put my Tigers on them!

chirodoc

Gold forum user
13 IN TIRES

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH, Tires Tires Tires a tire chain in the upper Midwest out of Souix City Ia. lists various brands of 13 in tires on their
web site. 205 and. 185 60 series tires in stock

gmrnow

Bronze forum user
Thanks again Roger. The more places I can research, the better. Looks like the hardest part was finding and getting the wheels.

artist

Bronze forum user
tires

Prometer PR600 All-Season Radial Tire - 205/60R13 86T
available on Amazon $57.xx ea
Probably fine for street. If you want to do some track stuff you'll want to cough up the big bucks.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I wouldn't go wider than 195 on a 5.5 rim, 185/65 or 70 would look period correct. If they are original magnesium and not alloy Silverstone wheels I would be hesitant about putting a sticky semi track tyre on. Pirreli and Michelin both make appropriate tyres.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have run 205/60-13 tires on two different sets of 13" rims without problems, HOWEVER, I don't autocross or race my car...

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
oops

Left that bit out...they were 13x5.5 One set was American Libre wheels and the other Appliance rims (currently on my Tiger).

gmrnow

Bronze forum user
They are the original mag wheels from '66. I wasn't quite sure what size to put on them. Obviously I will also put tubes in. Still a little worried of them breaking apart on me. They appear to be in excellent shape, but 50 year old magnesium is not the most stable material. I just putter around town with my Tigers with a good run on the highway every once in awhile to blow the carbon out. Might be in the best interest to only put them on for shows. What do you guys think?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If they are the original magnesium wheels you need to just be cautious, no lighting the tyres or aggressive cornering. That's why I suggested originally that sticky tyres may not be a good idea. If you are doing normal street driving I think the wheels would be ok if you have looked for stress fractures or signs of porusness.

As a side note, are they the set with different offset front snd rear?

gmrnow

Bronze forum user
Yes, they are the offsets. No worries...I drive them like and old man. I occasionally leave the left turn signal on too!