Automatic

canbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I know this may sound a bit sacrilegious, but I was thinking about changing the transmission in one of my Tigers to an automatic. The reason is my wife mentioned last year that she wouldn’t mind driving around in a Tiger (or Alpine) and coming out to more meets, if it was an automatic. I came across an auto V6 Alpine, but it was sold quickly, and was even thinking about buying a local 53 Sunbeam Talbot convertible to swap in a V8/auto. It was sold almost immediately to someone in Holland sight unseen.

I know the simplest solution would be to convince her to drive a stick, but that is not going to happen.

Any experience here with this conversion? I have seen the odd Tiger auto, but rarely. Ideally, I’d love to put in one of the newer AOD units for highway cruising. I just don’t want to have to butcher the car, as I have concerns about the size of an automatic vs the toploader, and having to modify the tunnel, where the transmission goes through the frame, the transmission mount, the shifter hole. There isn’t a hell of a lot of room between the toploader and the tunnel.

There was a fairly rare original Series IV Alpine automatic for sale locally (I believe they made 84 of them) but I didn’t want to get into something that may not be reliable for her. A more modern drivetrain and being able to restore to original, would be my objectives.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

Warren

Gold forum user
Bob

In Seal Beach CA. Last name Shields. He had a C-4 in an Alger but he recently moved not sure where, real nice car.
There was another car that made a few auction rounds it was the Alger by which all other Algers should be judged. I think the pictures are on the Alpine site, it had a C-4 as well. I also think I saw a running V-6 auto for sale in the Dakota's also on Alpine site.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
automatic

Many years ago Tiger Tom Ehrhart in Pennsylvania installed an automatic in his Tiger. His contact info can be found on the TE/AE site. I drove it several times and it made life easier.

canbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I remember Tom's car well, especially when he pulled a trailer with the hill climb Tiger on it. Realistically, I have so many things on my plate, so for this year at least, I think I'll just keep my eye out for an Alger like Warren mentioned, or updated Alpine with a V6. They are around, and I have to be patient to find something decent at an affordable price.

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just to put a bug in the ear...

...Consider an OD Auto adapter.

I don't know of anyone who has such a part.

But with the removable Bellhousing of the C4 the job is more pluasable

The typical SBF OD Autos are too big to fit in an unmodified Tiger

but a smaller newer V6 OD Auto MAY do it, just saying.

...Oh to have less full PlateS, let alone ONE Full plate...:eek:

SunbeamTgr

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I have installed modified C4 transmissions into 2 Tigers and 1 Alger. Dana Moulton has also installed an AOD (overdrive) version in his "ratty" Tiger. While the AOD has the benefit of the >67 Overdrive there are shortcomings with that unit, the biggest being its size, which does require some flooboard modification. The C4, with a Competition Transgo Shift Kit will definately impress with its spirited performance. Also, it's almost a "plug and play" installation, requiring a Mustang trans of the same bolt pattern (5 or 6 bolt bell hsg), A spacer plate for the automatic, a correct flexplate, Torque Converter, a fill tube and dip stick and a Mustang Shifter. You do need to install a small cooler. I mounted my coolers under the passenger floorboard, tilted at a slight angle, to allow for some air flow. I believe the driveshaft needs to be lengthened about 2" or add a spacer at the rear. The stock gearing is great for all around driving. I dropped to 3.07 gearing for more launch but was disappointed how much the top end suffered, hence the conversion to a T5 on that car, my '66 Mk l White/Red Interior Lord Rootes Winner. Even received a very nice letter from Ian G, stating how much he liked the automatic, since he also had one earlier. Don't hesitate to contact me, either e-mail (sunbeamtgr@aol.com), cell 541-554-0838 or via this forum for more thoughts about this conversion. Gary Haslip

canbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Warren, thanks for the link, but already contacted Paul, and his Alpine is sold to a guy in Minneapolis. If I decide to go ahead, I'll definitely be in touch with you Gary, and appreciate the offer. I think though, that realistically, a modified Alpine is the way to go. The odd automatic comes up occasionally. There was a real nice 55 Alpine at the Barret Jackson in January with a modified drivetrain, and had made arrangements to possibly bid on it, but it went for way more than I anticipated. I love the lines of those cars...

Any leads would be appreciated....