Ballast resister

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Enclosed is a picture of the inside of a ballast resister, it looks good to me but does have some rust on the coiled wire The wire is well away from touching ground Any suggestions?
5EF15290-BF5D-4C6E-A5F8-79B32ADDD2C3.jpeg

KenF

Gold forum user
No grounding is good in this case. I'd try it as is. Mine smoked pretty good for a minute when first powered on after 30 some years of sitting. It's still working fine.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Will be a while before I am ready to put power to it , many things to check before energizing the 57 year old wiring harness which is in excellent condition I assume the ballast resistor is only used to reduce the voltage to the tachometer?
Thanks for your input

ABSunbeams

Gold forum user
That’s it’s only purpose is to reduce Voltage. When I put a new one in mine it smoked for about 30 seconds. You may notice that the ceramic will get hot with the key on. That’s normal. If you have a petronix conversion they recommend using the full 12 volts. Seen a wire soldered to bypass the heating element.

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I assume the ballast resistor is only used to reduce the voltage to the tachometer?
Thanks for your input
Tony, The resistor reduces the voltage to the coil down to about 10 volts with the ignition switch on. In the start position, the resistor is bypassed and the coil gets the full 12 volts to help with starting. Running 12 volts constantly will burn up the points.