Beauty Rings for Stock Wheels

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi All,

I am looking for a set of beauty ring rims for my Tiger stock steel wheels. My Tiger is an early Mk1 so I need the rings with the straight slotted design. I currently have a set with the X design but I am trying to get them accurate for my early Tiger. I am looking for them to be in very good to excellent condition since my caps have been rechromed and really look great.

I did check with Rick at Sunbeam Specialties but he is out of stock and he advised his supplier has not been able to restock.

Thanks,

Jim Lindner
B9470033

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Jim,

If your car is an early MKI i thought they were the ones with the cross hatch wheel trims. i didn't think they switched back to the alpine slotted type till the cross over body MKI onwards (as in square doors and bonnet round boot but metal soft top covers)

However if you want slotted ones there is a supplier who sells repro trim rings and hubcaps in the UK.. they are probably advertised as hillman parts.

I would also suggest some local USA sources for good SH ones if you wish

segrave

Gold forum user
Staff member
CAT Member
Agree with Michael. When I was looking for trim rings Norm told me the cross hatch was correct for Mk1. They show up on ebay and craigs from time to time.

Steve

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Jim,

Id say the ones you have already are the correct ones, what made you think the early cars had the slotted type. AT one point it was comon thought that all MKI's until the IA had the cross hatch.. but apparently a little more reserach was done and the cross body cars were identified as gogin back to the alpine style.. not sure when/how they worked that out.

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi guys

This might be all due to my misisperpretation of an email exchange I had with Norm.

After seeing Steve's original look with the whitewalls ind beauty rims in an old Forum entry, I asked Norm if the Tiger actually came with whitewalls. His answer is below. From that answer I thought he meant my rings were incorrect. Now that I reread it I guess he meant just the opposite...that my rings are actually correct.

"The "North American Specification" included speed-rated 5:90 X 13, Road Speed Dunlop RS5 tires in whitewall. The one possible deviation from Steve Ralsten's configuration for your machine might have been the use of early single ring beauty rims. However, since you already have the crosshatch version I doubt anyone would argue the point."

Sorry for taking up everybody's time and thanks for setting this newbie straight...not to mention saving me some $$$$.

Jim

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Jim,

What norm might have meant is that the car wasnt fitted with the trim rings as in cross hatch or slatted, but the single outside crome ring that was used on alpines, in this case there was a hubcap and a ring around the rim with the wheels exposed.