body trim holes

pirouette

New forum user
Hey,
I need to drill all the body trim holes forward of the Tiger script on my Mk 1. That would be the holes for the forward side chrome and the holes for the Sunbeam letters across the front of the car. Missdrilling would be bad but by a small amount would be even worse as the holes would be unusable as is and would make redrilling close by an unusable mess. I have a plastic template for the letters that someone sent me, but I mocked it on a strip of wood and two of the letters were a bit off and there was no good way to oriente the template on the car. I remember someone posting lengthwise measurements for the chrome strip somewhere long ago, but lost in the ozone again. Eyeing it straight with the existing pieces will probably be the ultimate arbiter of up and down placement, but maybe a better way?
With all the front end mishaps (big engine, bad brakes!) over the years, I'm sure others have faced this little restoration problem before. Does anyone have suggestions or past procedures that worked out well? I'm close to paint and this is holding things up. Thanks !!
Chris

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Keeping Straight

With rear reference and script holes, I use a cheap builders laser set off to the side and jack the car until the red line exactly follows the old pattern and on forward. This keeps the show optics dead on.

KenF

Gold forum user
I tried every search I could think of and got nothing. Any more specific idea where I'd find that pdf? Thanks!

Here's a thread that has a PDF in one of the posts:

https://www.catmbr.org/VB_forum/showthread.php?t=1263&highlight=side+trim+holes

Sadly lots of broken links in the old threads. :confused:

tenor.gif

catatonic

Bronze forum user
Here is the PDF I downloaded several years ago.

Attachments

• side molding holes.pdf
    419.6 KB · Views: 121

pirouette

New forum user
Thank you!!!! One last question, I remember somewhere being told that the side chrome holes were different side to side. Don't see why that should be so, but thought I'd ask before I drill.