Bolt-on Traction Masters

Steven43

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I am installing bolt-on traction masters on my 65 M1, stock tiger. I have always used a D.W. torque-arms on my other tigers. But I am trying to go stock on this one. I have never seen a bolt-on traction master installed before.( in all my years of being around tigers , I never bothered to look to see if some one had bolt-on's) Is this even close to what it should look like ? And thanks to Mike M in the Valley for all the help with getting these part together.
Steven Alcala

DSCN9911 (1).JPG

DSCN9913 (1).JPG

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yup that's what the originals look like. They have the 3 bolt mounts....I don't know why they did that...but it's as per original.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
If you want to install these on a Mk1a or Mk2 you have to install a thicker spacer to clear the rebound that was mounted on the top of the spring (forward end) or remove the rebound entirely.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
This set up is what I want for my mk1 because the PO had the weld on type which broke away from the chassis. I will shorten the bar and make up a clamp on type like pictured. Can you tell me if they are 7/16 NF bolts and how is the bar attached to the angle iron ( welded and threaded , or is it a rod that could slide in the angle iron ?)) Is that 5/16 or 3/8 angle iron ?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Also.. should note... Don't clamp them to hard at the front...there should be some allowance for them to slide a little as the spring arches.. otherwise the ride will be very stuff as they will start to limit more movement than they need to

Steven43

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Maybe these photos can help some one who is trying to make a bolt-on out of an old weld-on. Also when welding Cast Iron to steel, use Cast-55 rod, pre heat - slow cool. (look on YouTube)

DSCN9914.JPG

DSCN9916 (1).JPG

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
As a side note ( a mod so not for the factory correct) the original rubber bushings in the TM at the spring mounts bind.

You can use a modern sleeved poly bush and eliminate the issue...

Picture attached..

2290943710054462410yOmrFX_fs.jpg