brake boost seeping, why just rebuilt

67tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
So I'm looking under the hood of my freshly finished Tiger and find paint lifting on and below the bracket that attaches to the aluminum body of the brake booster.
I'm beside myself because I have show type paint work in the engine bay and the issue arises over the winter, disappointing on a freshly rebuilt unit. I'm so freaking careful with hydraulic fluid because I know what it can do and then this happens out of nowhere. There are no leaks in or around the hydraulic lines, they are dry as can be, it seems to be just seeping from the area where the bracket attaches to the piston body, before I dive into it I thought I would seek advise. I'm ready to trash this unit it's caused me more problems and now this which really bums me out. I'm ready to retrofit that volvo unit that Specialties sells, take advise on that as well...

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
So I'm looking under the hood of my freshly finished Tiger and find paint lifting on and below the bracket that attaches to the aluminum body of the brake booster.
I'm beside myself because I have show type paint work in the engine bay and the issue arises over the winter, disappointing on a freshly rebuilt unit. I'm so freaking careful with hydraulic fluid because I know what it can do and then this happens out of nowhere. There are no leaks in or around the hydraulic lines, they are dry as can be, it seems to be just seeping from the area where the bracket attaches to the piston body, before I dive into it I thought I would seek advise. I'm ready to trash this unit it's caused me more problems and now this which really bums me out. I'm ready to retrofit that volvo unit that Specialties sells, take advise on that as well...

If you have no leaks from the fittings then your hydraulic body has a leak from either a crack or possibly it's seeping from the flange area where it mates with the bellows housing. I feel your pain but I would fix the unit you have rather than install a unit that is not correct.

Moondoggie

67tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for taking the time to respond, it must be the body because it seems to be coming from where the mounting bolts connect the body to the bracket, it's just weird. Of course I checked for seepage(sp) at all points where my hands could access and the body to bellows is all good and not really in the area of where the problem is. Affected areas are the face of the bracket and its eventual resting point in the engine bay...I hate oil leaks, but hydraulic leaks which I've never had with this car and the damage, well it sucks.

tiger260

Gold forum user
I know it is a little late in the day to say this but when my car is finished I intend to coat the area of the engine bay under the cylinders in POR 15 clear.

It is unaffected by oil so should save the paint should any leaks occur.
It may be worthwhile trying something similar after your clean up.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
That's New !!

Thanks for taking the time to respond, it must be the body because it seems to be coming from where the mounting bolts connect the body to the bracket, it's just weird. Of course I checked for seepage(sp) at all points where my hands could access and the body to bellows is all good and not really in the area of where the problem is. Affected areas are the face of the bracket and its eventual resting point in the engine bay...I hate oil leaks, but hydraulic leaks which I've never had with this car and the damage, well it sucks.

Rebuilt or repaired well over 300 of the little devils and never have seen one leak in that particular location ?? :confused:

67tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I painted the bracket with POR-15, it's great and durable but have seems to be as affected as any other paint, not sure about their clear coat but I will check it out.....Thanks for all the input...

tiger260

Gold forum user
still off topic

I painted the bracket with POR-15, it's great and durable but have seems to be as affected as any other paint, not sure about their clear coat but I will check it out.....Thanks for all the input...

I was told that it would resist brake fluid but I haven't tried it personally.
I don't want to give out false info so I am painting some items with clear today so I can see how it gets on.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Powder Stains

I was told that it would resist brake fluid but I haven't tried it personally.
I don't want to give out false info so I am painting some items with clear today so I can see how it gets on.

We quit powder-coating the servo units as we discovered the brake fluids would deep etch & stain the unstainable !!!

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yellowing under heat

Was the concern my body shop buddy mentioned yesterday when I asked him about using clear in the engine bay.

Again... Anecdotal, no firm data. Ymmv