Brake Fluid transfusion

67tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
On the expert advice of a Tiger mechanic/restorer I was told that Valvoline Synthetic Dot 3-4 brake fluid was the way to go with my completely rebuilt brake system. I'm not sure it is, and I'm contemplating going back to factory spec product if I can find it. I just rebuilt my rebuilt brake master, had it sleeved and want to make sure it is dialed this time. Any suggestions on brake/clutch hydraulic fluid, and the best way to flush the system considering remnants of the existing Syn, may not mix well with the new brake fluid? I also found the Synthetic to be extremely damaging to paint more so than any brake fluid I've worked with in the past. A little seepage from the master turned my perfectly finished engine bay into a nightmare in the valley below the unit. Arhg....Cheers, Don

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
2-cents

On the expert advice of a Tiger mechanic/restorer I was told that Valvoline Synthetic Dot 3-4 brake fluid was the way to go with my completely rebuilt brake system. I'm not sure it is, and I'm contemplating going back to factory spec product if I can find it. I just rebuilt my rebuilt brake master, had it sleeved and want to make sure it is dialed this time. Any suggestions on brake/clutch hydraulic fluid, and the best way to flush the system considering remnants of the existing Syn, may not mix well with the new brake fluid? I also found the Synthetic to be extremely damaging to paint more so than any brake fluid I've worked with in the past. A little seepage from the master turned my perfectly finished engine bay into a nightmare in the valley below the unit. Arhg....Cheers, Don

My experience over the decades with literally hundreds of brake boosters and related components has led me to an opinion. Any clean Dot 4 (I prefer Castrol LMA because it's basically inert). Problems occur when owners allow fluids to age & contaminate, OR, top off and mix with another product. NEVER MIX FLUIDS !! Keep a clean system.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
as an aside...

Since the topic is transfusion, are there any preferred tools to speed the transfusion process? I have used the hand held 'Mighty-Vac' unit with varying degrees of success.
I have been considering the Motive Products 'Power Bleeder'. Can anybody who has used the PB system provide feedback?

Cheers, -Kevin

Jeff F

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Since the topic is transfusion, are there any preferred tools to speed the transfusion process? I have used the hand held 'Mighty-Vac' unit with varying degrees of success.
I have been considering the Motive Products 'Power Bleeder'. Can anybody who has used the PB system provide feedback?
When doing a complete replace, the best way is to empty the system, rather than trying to flush out the old. Use a vac pump to empty the master cylinder, then go to each corner and vac out all you can. For best results, retract the caliper pistons all the way. By the time you get the system refilled and bled you will have flushed out any remaining old fluid.

Power bleeders and other contraptions are more trouble than they are worth. They waste a lot of fluid and there is a lot of cleanup involved when you are done. On a car with a simple system like a Tiger a vac pump will work, or the old-fashioned find-a-friend routine. Also, the continual pumping is unnecessary until the very end. Just crack the bleeder and stroke the pedal.

Jay Laifman

New forum user
Sorry. Going to have to agree and disagree here. I got one of those hand vacuum pump bleeders years ago. I was using it on my Alpine, shortly after having it painted. I put it down near the tire and checked the fluid level. The torque in the hose tipped it over. I didn't realize it, but by tipping over the fluid got into the air valve. When I went to pump again, it sprayed brake fluid out the valve onto the new paint!!! Talk about panic!!! I fortunately had a bucket of car wash water near mean and cleaned it off immediately - no damage. So I agree with how bad that system is.

HOWEVER, I later got the Motive system for another marque car. That thing is amazing. Never had stronger, firmer brakes. It's so easy, so clean, so effective. In fact, next to a valve adjusting tool I have, it is the best tool that I own.

As to switching - as others have warned below, you can't mix the fluids. When I got the Tiger, I had not realized my dad put DOT 5 in the clutch. I went about my business bleeding everything. It seemed odd how the DOT 3/4 I put in the clutch seemed to float. It didn't register on me until the clutch failed 2 weeks later! So if you are going to switch to synthetic, be sure to mark the reservoir for those that come next (or you, in case you forget!).