Brake light switch

le tigre

Bronze forum user
Hi all,
Am in the process of overhauling the braking system and need to replace the hydraulic brake light switch as it doesn't work. Should there be a copper washer between the switch and the brake union? and if so what size?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Andy, ye s thin washer.. cant recall the size.. make sure you get a good qaulity part.. also there is many who believ that silicone fluid kilsl the swicthes. others say that theyare ifne as long as they are only exposed to silicone or mineral.. but not both.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
switch

try using the same copper washer you use for the flex brake lines.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Copper Washer

Hi all,
Am in the process of overhauling the braking system and need to replace the hydraulic brake light switch as it doesn't work. Should there be a copper washer between the switch and the brake union? and if so what size?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

copper washer is 3/8" X .033 minimum. Some of the better parts stores will have .062 thickness. DO NOT substitute .

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
switch

the best thing to do is to install the brake light switch at the pedal as sunbeam did starting in 1968.

texastigert

Silver forum user
the best thing to do is to install the brake light switch at the pedal as sunbeam did starting in 1968.

Just wondering, can you post a picture of this switch, at the pedal! How did they set it up? I'm interested, only because of what was mentioned in an earlier post. I changed my brake fluid, a couple weeks ago for Dot 4 to silicon, and my inline hyd. switch quit working. The inline hyd. switch, at the terminals is -normally open, till you apply brakes, then makes the contact close, making the circuit. I guess mine shorted out, from the change of fluid?? not sure but it was a rather new switch. I understand that these switches fail, quite often. go figure?? Anyhow, I was thinking about the switch at the pedal as mentioned in one of the other threads. Thanks

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just wondering, can you post a picture of this switch, at the pedal! How did they set it up? I'm interested, only because of what was mentioned in an earlier post. I changed my brake fluid, a couple weeks ago for Dot 4 to silicon, and my inline hyd. switch quit working. The inline hyd. switch, at the terminals is -normally open, till you apply brakes, then makes the contact close, making the circuit. I guess mine shorted out, from the change of fluid?? not sure but it was a rather new switch. I understand that these switches fail, quite often. go figure?? Anyhow, I was thinking about the switch at the pedal as mentioned in one of the other threads. Thanks

Bill blue on the SAOCA forum sells a kit for about $10 uses a small exhaust clamp to mount the switch off the column.. quite easy to do

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I made a simple bracket for a generic modern brake light switch out of a piece of scrap aluminum. For a picture of the bracket, see my last entry of a thread I started in February of this year about "Cruise-Control".