Wanted British Natural Jute

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
looking for a source for the natural jute used in british cars. this is natural (tan) on one side and black on the other. in the past I have purchased this from MacGregor on Ontario or BAS/Heritage auto trim in British Columbia. The last time I called MacGregor he said he could get it, but never came through. Getting a live body at BAS/Heritage is nearly impossible. This has been available in 2 different thicknesses. Alpines and Tiger use the thinner option. I also need some of the thicker version for the Aston Martin I'm restoring.

anyone out there have a different source for this product? I'm only after the natural jute as it is an appearance issue...

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
looking for a source for the natural jute used in british cars. this is natural (tan) on one side and black on the other. in the past I have purchased this from MacGregor on Ontario or BAS/Heritage auto trim in British Columbia. The last time I called MacGregor he said he could get it, but never came through. Getting a live body at BAS/Heritage is nearly impossible. This has been available in 2 different thicknesses. Alpines and Tiger use the thinner option. I also need some of the thicker version for the Aston Martin I'm restoring.

anyone out there have a different source for this product? I'm only after the natural jute as it is an appearance issue...
Sent you an email.

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Is this the material that you are looking for?

IMG_6410.jpeg

IMG_6411.jpeg

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
[redacted by moderator]

Anyway.... For those wanting to source the correct jute their is a supplier in the UK:

https://john-skinner.co.uk/materials-and-colours/underfelt/

Postage will obviously be more than NTH America ... If you have shipping issues there are members in the UK on the forum who have been very helpful assisting those outside the UK

Last edited by a moderator:

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I contacted my pals at Moss.... Bob, If Rick stocked it, he'd have been my first call..... I can get both thicknesses through Moss via a special order $40/yd for the thicker stuff and $36/yd for the thinner stuff. The thinner variety is what's used on the Alpine and Tiger

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I contacted my pals at Moss.... Bob, If Rick stocked it, he'd have been my first call..... I can get both thicknesses through Moss via a special order $40/yd for the thicker stuff and $36/yd for the thinner stuff. The thinner variety is what's used on the Alpine and Tiger
If you need it, then it's great that you found it. What does Moss have to say about having a full line of Sunbeam parts in the future?

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
If you need it, then it's great that you found it. What does Moss have to say about having a full line of Sunbeam parts in the future?
I have asked them if they're going to buy Sunbeam Specialties... and I suggested that they do. What they do is their business. The neat thing about Brit cars is, it's a small country. About the size of Oregon. I am a British citizen and well acquainted with how the motor trade worked in the 60's. All of the chrome bits were made by Wilmot Breeden, all the electricals by Lucas or Wipac... Fasteners and other bits were made by Rubery Owen. Pressed steel also built the MGB bodies and the Spridget bodies... Lots of interchangeability. You just have to recognize the bits and know where they were used. I hope Moss does buy Rick out. It would ensure the availability of parts for our cars well into the future. I am well into my 2nd Aston Martin DB5 restoration. Moss has been a source of parts that I know interchange from other marques... I could buy direct from AML, but the cost would be 3x more for the same parts sourced from Moss. I will, obviously, buy parts from AML, when I cannot find them elsewhere.. Same as buying parts from Rick. If I can source them elsewhere and they are exactly the same, and less money... I'll get them there. Sunbeam Tiger brakes are the same as TR4/TR4a... Lots less from Moss. Engine and gearbox parts are less from NPD and others.

If it weren't for my continual badgering of Moss, 73 windshields would be in the dumpster, instead of in the hands of enthusiastic Alpine and Tiger owners. That all of them sold in a week amazed the guys at Moss. They were nice enough to forward the source for brake rotors that VB was buying... which I'd be happy to pass along if there is interest.

I have nothing but time to source the correct parts and materials for my clients. It's far more important to have the right part/material than accept an alternate, less suitable part. Besides, it's their money and their car. My clients have money in spades.... so not an issue!

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have asked them if they're going to buy Sunbeam Specialties... and I suggested that they do. What they do is their business. The neat thing about Brit cars is, it's a small country. About the size of Oregon. I am a British citizen and well acquainted with how the motor trade worked in the 60's. All of the chrome bits were made by Wilmot Breeden, all the electricals by Lucas or Wipac... Fasteners and other bits were made by Rubery Owen. Pressed steel also built the MGB bodies and the Spridget bodies... Lots of interchangeability. You just have to recognize the bits and know where they were used. I hope Moss does buy Rick out. It would ensure the availability of parts for our cars well into the future. I am well into my 2nd Aston Martin DB5 restoration. Moss has been a source of parts that I know interchange from other marques... I could buy direct from AML, but the cost would be 3x more for the same parts sourced from Moss. I will, obviously, buy parts from AML, when I cannot find them elsewhere.. Same as buying parts from Rick. If I can source them elsewhere and they are exactly the same, and less money... I'll get them there. Sunbeam Tiger brakes are the same as TR4/TR4a... Lots less from Moss. Engine and gearbox parts are less from NPD and others.

If it weren't for my continual badgering of Moss, 73 windshields would be in the dumpster, instead of in the hands of enthusiastic Alpine and Tiger owners. That all of them sold in a week amazed the guys at Moss. They were nice enough to forward the source for brake rotors that VB was buying... which I'd be happy to pass along if there is interest.

I have nothing but time to source the correct parts and materials for my clients. It's far more important to have the right part/material than accept an alternate, less suitable part. Besides, it's their money and their car. My clients have money in spades.... so not an issue!
It's apparent that you cater to the folks that want originality. That's great for owners that expect that kind of service as well as you being able to do it for them without cutting corners to do it their way. That allows you to take time to source what you need and makes the job much easier for you to achieve the customer's goal. The wife and I have the capability to have the restorations done our way which doesn't mean 100% originality due to changes being made to improve reliability and drive ability based on decades of ownership of these cars. That attitude has always led to a higher cost because of fabrication or special work needed. She never has asked "how much". The wife's comment after the shop understands what we want is to "just fix it".

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Just wanted to let people know. I have secured a supply of Natural Jute from the UK in both 6mm thick and a thicker 10mm. if you want some let me know! It's black on one side as orignal.....
P1301745.JPG