CA Gas or Holley Carb?

smw_1a

New forum user
I live in CA and have a Tiger with a '95 5.0 with an Edlebrock Performer and a Holley 600 4160 carb. If the car sits for a month the accelerator pump valve sticks closed. To fix it I pop off the squiter and poke the valve with an awl then all is good. I also have had the secondary float stick open where some hard tapping with the plastic end of a screwdriver fixed it. Do others have these kinds of issues? I ran a 500 cfm AFB for almost 30 years and didn't have these issues unless the car sat for several years. Could this be an issue with the CA winter mix? I am running dual filters, before the pump and at the carb so I do not think it is from the tanks.

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Can you buy non ethanol gas in CA? If not, a fuel preservative may help. Thankfully I can get non ethanol here and run it in my cars-and my lawnmowers!

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Can you buy non ethanol gas in CA? If not, a fuel preservative may help. Thankfully I can get non ethanol here and run it in my cars-and my lawnmowers!
Fuel injector additives should counter the ethanol jelly.

Warren

Gold forum user
Also try opening the hood to speed cool down amd fuel boil down after a long drive. I often use Stabil and do not let gas age more than 6 months. I do have a similar recurring problem with an old Holley.

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I vote the "Gas" is the problem.

I have gone round and round with Weber spring loaded Acc pumps sticking!

The problem tends to go away WHEN I can remember to shut off the fuel and run the carbs dry.

And IF you have Webers that NEED to have the Acc pumps working to get the thing running, without lifting the hood,

You are screwed!

Last edited:

ojxxx

Silver forum user
The stock holley has the wrong gasket for modern gas. The green accelerator pump gasket is a permanent fix for the problem, a Holley 135-10 is the part number.
The stock black gasket will get hard as a rock and quit working, the green will stay pliable. The black works if it is driven often, if it sits for a while (like during the winter etc) it gets hard.