CA YOM Plates - Metal Tabs & Stickers

Mike Armstrong

Bronze forum user
Rather than the random internet searches I've been doing, I wanted answers to be CA specific, and being a CA Sunbeam owner it makes this forum a pretty good place to ask.

I just got my CA black plates cleared by Sacramento. They were original to the car but without any existing paperwork or history (that's a whole other story) I had to go thru the YOM Program to get them re-registered back to the vehicle.

Anyhoo, the tags came with a set of large, rather ugly, metal tabs. The CA DMV website says I need to leave the original blue 1967 sticker on the plate and use the tabs to display the current stickers by attaching them to the top right or if necessary, right side of the plate. I'd rather not use the tabs.

Question: I'm sure some of you guys are using YOM plates so, how are you displaying your current tags?

I've read everything from, 'not at all, they're in the glovebox', to 'I put the new stickers on the plate right over the old stickers', to 'I put both stickers on one tab and rotate it behind the plate when at a show', to 'I leave the 67 blue sticker on the front plate and put the new stickers on the rear plate'.

Do most CHP cops seem to not really know or care as long as you have current tags 'somewhere' and their computer shows your plates and VIN match?

Thanks

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
I have to agree the metal tags supplied are ugly. I cut a new tag that fits right over the top of the original tag and attached the new sticker. I painted the tag black to match the plate and that works. The tag is held in place by the top corner screw. I have had no problems with this approach..

Moondoggie

Warren

Gold forum user
Old sticker number

Is not on the new registration paper they send. At least it was not on 4 that I have owned and made YOM from white plates. For anyone else there is a similar thread on SAOCA nice to see you here Mike :)

Mike Armstrong

Bronze forum user
Hi buddy, thanks.

Just curious what I can get away with, uh, I mean, what others are doing :)

Next C&C (have you been to the Aliso Viejo Cars & Coffee?, it's grown!) or classic car show I go to I'm going to see what guys are doing. There's always a few showcasing their black plates.

Doug C

Gold forum user
On my 66 Shelby I have the yellow 66 sticker and the tabs in the glove box.

On a former car I found a license plate frame with 2 spots on the top for current tabs and kept the (older) tag on the license plate.

67MKII

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I got my YOM plates 2 years ago - I put the new yearly registration tags right over the old one.
My thinking is (right or wrong) - The CHP will not care as long as you have a current registration and tags.

I've been pulled over 5 times in the last 10 years with my Tiger - 1 for a speeding ticket, 4 because the CHPie just wanted to look at my car.

John

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
What is on the Registration?

I don't have YOM registration, but it seems to me that your chances of having a problem with the police depends on what information is on the registration. Is there anything about YOM on the registration? If so, then you might have an issue if a police officer pulls you over and notices the YOM is on the registration but you do not display your registration sticker as required. If there is nothing about YOM on the registration, the police officer would probably check for proper registration and having the current sticker in the right place would probably suffice. I'm no lawyer nor am I advocating that anyone break the law. But let's face it, there are many cars being driven in CA without front license plates and I don't see them being pulled over for failure to display a front plate.

Too bad you could not produce original title or something with the original plate numbers on it. What a pain!

Warren

Gold forum user
Not

DMV makes you go through all the hoops jumping at issuance and they say that the date specific number on the sticker for example 1966 and the number above it is in their records. They do not list the old registration sticker number on the current registration paper .
At least not on any of the four cars I've had as YOM or any renewals.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze forum user
Thanks guys.

Ya, trying to get a car licensed and registered without having any previous documentation, i.e. no title, no registration, very little vehicle history other than it was found sitting out in a remote field by the seller, with a couple period correct old license plates in the trunk (not even an engine or tranny left in it) was a real PITA. (Warren is familiar with this vehicle). At least it still had the factory VIN plate attached, which was good enough for a 'not 100% sure it was legal' Mobile VIN Verification service to come to my garage. A wink and $100 bucks later I at least had something to get the ball rolling ;)

There's nothing on the new registration with YOM on it, but each category is coded so maybe there is something designating it to be a Year of Make registered vehicle.

Anyways, I can actually use something up front to hide a little center body damage to the valance so it might as well be a license plate. Most car shows I've been to the cars hood is up and the majority of viewers gather around the front of the vehicle. I think I'll use the better of the two plates, the one with the blue 67 sticker on it, and strategically mount that up front. I'll put the new stickers on the other plate for the rear.

See how that goes, thanks again.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
On my old YOM plates and street rods I have had I put them in the glove box - a friend that is in law enforcement said once they run the plate it shows as being registered. I got lazy on my current YOM pate and just placed the new stickers on the black/yellow plate.

Warren

Gold forum user
Vin Verify

Mike, many of use have cars no B before vin number, or some with year number first 6638200XXXX and no LRXFE or some variation. I bet others would pay the 100 bucks gladly for a pass on the CHP route. Can you tell us about the vin verification service

Last edited:

dlyle

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I also just put the current year sticker and month on the plate.

andy k

New forum user
My friend who is deaf had a 1959 Chevrolet with short headers and YOM plates in Calif. That makes them 1956, yellow with black letters, and required by the DMV to have a '59 sticker prior to applying for registering them. Until the black plates came out in '63, they were by-the-year only, no month. On some cars the DMV-provided metal tabs, one for month, one for year would not fit where the lic. plate was fitted, like if it had to be pulled down to gas up. My friend was often pulled over for loud exhaust which he didn't mind since he was deaf. He liked the feel. He kept his stickers on the tab on his keychain and was never harassed for that, probably because he had a clean record, was cooperative and sober. He said he got a pass for his disability but who knows? For my '60 BelAir I plan to keep my tags on the tab provided by the DMV with my keys to retain the look of the plates without adornment. Obviously it isn't 63 years overdue! And I'm legal/sober/cooperative always, with stock exhaust. I hope this helps, I wish I did buy that Alpine in 1983 from the Toy Shop in SD, maybe it would have led to a Tiger like the one my friend Bob Gill had in Columbus in the '70s. Very nice red one; fuel pump issues as I recall. I believe my mom helped him with that somehow. ??? I was 11