Car seat restoration

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I have a mk 1 Tiger and bought all the foam and covers to restore both seats. The later Tiger has a diaphragm to add support I guess I was wondering will this fit the mk 1 to give more support rather than just using the rubber straps. What is your thoughts? Thanks

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The diaphragms provide a lot more support but are kind of a bear to install.. I have several pairs of the later seats and I suppose I could provide a pic and measurements for the diaphragm clip holes.. perhaps the best thing to do would be to call Rick at Sunbeam Specialties and ask if they'll fit the earlier base

Warren

Gold forum user
Seen several methods from plywood to good old sofa style strapping. A looser fit placing your posterior closer to the seat floor may be a good idea. New foam and diaphragms kinda put your head closer to the hood I mean convertible top.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Seen several methods from plywood to good old sofa style strapping. A looser fit placing your posterior closer to the seat floor may be a good idea. New foam and diaphragms kinda put your head closer to the hood I mean convertible top.
Good things to point out ! Is there a little more headroom with the hardtop on rather than the soft top and I did purchase the rubber straps , do you think they would be a little on the soft side ? I am only 5 feet 8 so headroom may not be an issue

Warren

Gold forum user
I had my upholstery guy just redo the late style seats . The early ones are liked by some better because the side bolsters are somewhat more pronounced. Only used the hard top a couple times, but there's a big difference. My 64 bug convertible has a padded top and headliner. There's nothing in the Tigers or the Falcon. Ya don't want your head close to a black top in the sun generally speaking. I thought the new foam and diaphragm was rather stiff as well. You can always make it higher by flipping down the bar under the seat for an extra inch but you can't make it lower. You certainly can't make it any softer once you stick in those later bottoms either.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I had my upholstery guy just redo the late style seats . The early ones are liked by some better because the side bolsters are somewhat more pronounced. Only used the hard top a couple times, but there's a big difference. My 64 bug convertible has a padded top and headliner. There's nothing in the Tigers or the Falcon. Ya don't want your head close to a black top in the sun generally speaking. I thought the new foam and diaphragm was rather stiff as well. You can always make it higher by flipping down the bar under the seat for an extra inch but you can't make it lower. You certainly can't make it any softer once you stick in those later bottoms either.
I appreciate the info. I have never driven the car since it needs a full restoration and rebuild engine all a lengthy process but the engine is now rebuilt and the Holley is now being rebuilt. Maybe In a month we will have it on the break in stand and running šŸ˜Š

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I appreciate the info. I have never driven the car since it needs a full restoration and rebuild engine all a lengthy process but the engine is now rebuilt and the Holley is now being rebuilt. Maybe In a month we will have it on the break in stand and running šŸ˜Š
I you decide you want a set of the later seat frames, let me know. I have 2 sets of spare seats

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I thought I read somewhere that the seats had a bungee on the bottom seat cushions. Is that correct both of my seats have a blue and yellow bungee ?

06C2C678-01C5-4A8D-90FC-DB0BB8ADA385.png

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I thought I read somewhere that the seats had a bungee on the bottom seat cushions. Is that correct both of my seats have a blue and yellow bungee ?

View attachment 15200
YEP: Held in with odd wooden wedges that gather moisture and rot the tube ends. Martha (bless her heart) has done a couple for me and our interior guy & gal do their own methods but still achieve stock looking results.