carb vent tubes too tall

mrthieba

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Vent tube too tall for air cleaner. Best solution?
Also it seems the choke plate will rub on cleaner lid. Can it be filed down 1/16 or should remove it?
Rookie questions, I know, and have googled it, but maybe tiger guys have best solution.
Mat

20211201_110656.jpg

Last edited:

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
You might consider adding a thicker gasket between the housing and the air filter element, to raise the housing lid. Be sure to chech carefully that your hood does not contact your air filter housing, though.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
You might consider adding a thicker gasket between the housing and the air filter element, to raise the housing lid. Be sure to chech carefully that your hood does not contact your air filter housing, though.
Well, my barnyard solution would be a bit crude, but effective. Got a hacksaw?

Warren

Gold forum user
That looks like an old paper filter, what's it's total height? The replacement paper filter S.S. sells is possibly a little taller like 12 bucks. Or look up the K n N website and look for the O.D. on the 2859 and see how many different height filters they offer. LAT hood on the car ? set down gently a peer up under the hood or std. hood do the modeling clay or flour water and salt to make putty. To figure out how much room you have to play with.
Or use a tubing cutter after getting a new filter.

mrthieba

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It is a F4B intake with a holley 4 BBl with a 20 yr old filter at 1.5 inches tall after some of the rubber was shaved away. K and N can be ordered in 1.5 or 2.0 inches.

I will try the crumpled foil trick.

And a hacksaw type job is not out of the question.

mrthieba

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Using the balled foil trick shows 1/2 inch between top of tube to the hood. I cannot use a 2 inch tall filter as clearance would be too tight.
Also the vent tube needs to be at least 1/4 inch below filter lid or it will syphon fuel.

That means the tube would have to be cut to 1/4 inch tall to have clearance between it and filter lid.
I cant think of any other options.

Warren

Gold forum user
I have seen the K n N in taller filter's. Their website is great for sizing. Guessing it's the motor Dan just built so probably want the tallest filter you can get. It's the outboard edges of the AC housing that contact the curved hood.

ktwhite

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
You can cut it down to where the bottom of the angle is at the base of the outer rim where it intersects the metering block. Holley sells a baffle that goes in the metering block to aid in fuel sloshing out that vent tube. You simply drill a hole in the top of metering plate and screw in the baffle. Fuel fuel only come out if real hard acceleration. Build many Holley’s form my drag cars. Attached photo of one of mine.

4C5C0EAB-3DFE-4DF8-8987-0AB81ABB63A1.jpeg