CAT 6 bolt slave bracket

woody6

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Okay, silly question. I just received the CAT aluminum 6 bolt slave cylinder bracket, which I want to use with an original 289 ford aluminum 6 bolt bellhousing. Does the bracket require minor clearances to be made on the bellhousing ribs, or should there be spacers? Hopefully the pictures below will help.

Thanks,
Woody

slave_bracket1.jpg

slave_bracket2.jpg

slave_bracket3.jpg

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
God invented the hack saw & grinder for a reason. Or, you can buy a MK II bracket.

woody6

Silver forum user
CAT Member
God invented the hack saw & grinder for a reason. Or, you can buy a MK II bracket.

Thanks. Unfortunately, the MK II bracket doesn't clear the Sunbeam Specialty headers.

I can neatly make room with a handheld grinder if that's what I have to do. I just can't believe I would be the first person to run into this.

--Woody

woody6

Silver forum user
CAT Member
For the next person, the clearance needed on the slave bracket is actually pretty minimal, and there is plenty of material left for strength.

--Woody

slave_bracket4.jpg

Warren

Gold forum user
The M2 style or the one on the right? I've seen the cast one on the right have a extended top bolt hole .

IMG_20210116_123050_01.jpg

IMG_20210322_190051.jpg

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My $.02...

DO NOT weaken the clutch slave bracket! It needs ALL the rigidity it can get!

Mod the Bellhousing, not the bracket.

AND, Don't MOD a 5 bolt bracket to attempt to use it on a 6 bolt block, a BAD plan!

DW

woody6

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I have the welded Mk2 style bracket. Because it mounts with a bellhousing bolt above and below the slave cylinder, it interferes with the headers from Sunbeam Specialties. I considered notching the bracket, but it would still be close to the tubes, and it is steel and will transfer heat to the slave cylinder quite well. The aluminum CAT bracket mounts with two bellhousing bolts above the slave cylinder, so it looks like it will be further from the heat of the headers. The headers are currently at Jet-Hot getting coated, and I may construct a heat shield for the slave cylinder as well. Here are some pics of the Mk2 bracket and headers.

mk2_slave_bracket1.jpg

mk2_slave_bracket2.jpg

mk2_slave_bracket3.jpg

Last edited:

woody6

Silver forum user
CAT Member
My $.02...

DO NOT weaken the clutch slave bracket! It needs ALL the rigidity it can get!

Mod the Bellhousing, not the bracket.

AND, Don't MOD a 5 bolt bracket to attempt to use it on a 6 bolt block, a BAD plan!

DW
I considered modifying the bellhousing, but the aluminum bracket is actually quite thick, and the metal removed to clear the bellhousing reinforcing ribs really is minimal.

--Woody

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My suggestion is regarding the the MK1 TYPE that mounts with only 2 bolts.

The MK2 version is inherently More rigid, with the 3 mounting points.

Mod it as needed.

BTW, the later repro MK2 bracket Has been Moded for more (early type/LAT) header clearance.

woody6

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Many thanks. The CAT aluminum bracket is in no way flimsy. I prefer it because it mounts away from the headers, and is aluminum rather than steel. The aluminum should absorb less heat, and dissipate heat better. You can see from my photos above that the steel one is close to the headers, both on the mounting plate and on the leg/3rd mount. I can clearance it, but it will still be close to the header tubes by design. Lastly, the diaphragm pressure plate from modern driveline will not require the pressure of the heavy-duty finger-style pressure plate that I used in the 80's - that one was seriously heavy (LOL, the old alignment shop owner told me 'takes two men and a boy to depress that clutch').

If the aluminum one flexes or fails, I'll own it and post here to save someone else the same headache. I really can't see that happening, because if that aluminum mount won't work for my application, then it probably won't work for anyone.

Headers should be back from Jet Hot in a week or two, I'll follow up with pictures when it is all assembled.

--Woody

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
you can use the bracket sold by Sunbeam Specialties for the 6 bolt bell housing, BUT it requires grinding some off the bellhousing to install

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I'd just buy the Mk2 version that Giles sells... Cleared the headers on a couple of cars I put together with no issues

Last edited:

woody6

Silver forum user
CAT Member
you can use the bracket sold by Sunbeam Specialties for the 6 bolt bell housing, BUT it requires grinding some off the bellhousing to install

Many thanks. I would have worried about buying a 3rd bracket, with the first two each having some issues. Grinding the bellhousing would have worked fine, but as I was reluctant to do that first because it was powdercoated, and second because the bracket is the more minor and easily removed part. Some were concerned that removing material from the bracket would weaken it, but the actual amount removed to clear the bellhousing reinforcing ribs was really minimal. Once done, I was happy with the result, and the little bit of grinding I did is invisible. Hopefully the pics will save someone else some minor frustration.

slave_bracket4.jpg