Center to center distance at top of front struts

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Does anyone know the center to center distance between the front struts measured at the top where the 2 locking nuts are My distance is 32 5/16 inches and want to know if the shock towers have collapsed at all. The suspension is out of the car so there is no load on it but the springs and shocks are in place
Thanks

CobraTiger

Silver forum user
From a STOA Tech Tip "Tiger Front Cross Member" - you can google as its freely available - it states the distance between the rear corners of the shocktowers should be between 28" and 28 3/16". The article has pictures as well to support that.

I recently checked mine and had to expand the shocktowers to get them back within tolerance as well as adding welds for strengthening. Good luck

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Thanks for the information, it looks like mine fall’s within spec They did a good job with the factory welds on mine but it has only 56000 miles and was probably not driven hard. Would you still recommend adding more weld reinforcement? I really don’t want to tear into a suspension rebuild at the moment having the engine rebuilt is enough right now !

CC4088D9-BF3A-4470-8B1B-95A882334B59.jpeg

8819A755-8E3E-4041-9AEF-58DC5B70A2DF.jpeg

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
From a STOA Tech Tip "Tiger Front Cross Member" - you can google as its freely available - it states the distance between the rear corners of the shocktowers should be between 28" and 28 3/16". The article has pictures as well to support that.

I recently checked mine and had to expand the shocktowers to get them back within tolerance as well as adding welds for strengthening. Good luck
I am a member of STOA but I cannot find the article. Could you please provide a link?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for the information, it looks like mine fall’s within spec They did a good job with the factory welds on mine but it has only 56000 miles and was probably not driven hard. Would you still recommend adding more weld reinforcement? I really don’t want to tear into a suspension rebuild at the moment having the engine rebuilt is enough right now !

View attachment 14374

View attachment 14375
Tony, definitely do the additional wedding.. There is a good artcile in the CAT newsletter available in the archives by Buck that shows how/ where

CobraTiger

Silver forum user
Here is the Tech Tip i mentioned

Attachments

• Front Crossmember tech tip.pdf
    828.1 KB · Views: 169