Clear Hooters just don't hoot.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
I have worked with my hooters for some time and are just not happy with the lack of volume. I kinda use my horns as a traffic "guiding" device and hate how quiet the hooters are.

So, just got a pair of these ($39 delivered) -
77304.jpg

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/hella+twin+trumpet+horn+set.do?sortby=ourPicks

German made and 110 decibels. They look like a great replacement and I will paint them black.

Hear them here - http://www.griotsgarage.com/text/sounds/77304HellaTwinTrumpetHorns.mp3

Will post more when I install them.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
German made and 110 decibels. They look like a great replacement and I will paint them black.
Will post more when I install them.

110db ... gets some side pipes on the exhaust duke.. blip the throttle to about 3500rpm and you will get more than 110db with your motor!

Also you are runnign the horn hold blocking plates... where did you mount the horns.. were the still in the stock location? Was it their level of volume.. or were they getting muffled in the engine bay?

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
110db ... gets some side pipes on the exhaust duke.. blip the throttle to about 3500rpm and you will get more than 110db with your motor!

Also you are runnign the horn hold blocking plates... where did you mount the horns.. were the still in the stock location? Was it their level of volume.. or were they getting muffled in the engine bay?

Oh yea, I have been know to "blip" the throttle at opportune times. ;)

Yes, have the hole blocking plates....horns are in stock location. Pic worth 1000....
HornHoleplate003.jpg

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
hoot

original horns didn't make much noise when they were new. of course they didn't work very long either. around here people start waving if you blow the horn. it's like saying hello. you may soon have a bunch of new friends.

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
When the fella working on my car had it painted I guess he thought I wouldn't want the horn for some reason so he took it out. I had a nice two trumpet air horn and asked for it back so I could re-install myself. When I went to install I guess he figured I didn't need the wires either as they were gone as well.

I feel defenseless without a horn. I also bought one from Griot. It's their smallest one. It's installed but don't even know what it sounds like...still missing the wires...and a horn button. Maybe I'll have to get something else so it can be heard...when it gets wired up...and has a button.

I have a hole closure plate. Horn is mounted on the other side of aero nut.

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Duke,

Thanks for the recommendation. I just may get a set of these myself.

Couple of potential concerns have crossed my mind. I bet these little puppies pull a lot of current to put out 110 db. Probably would want to trigger them with a relay rather than have all those amps flowing through my original circuit.

I can just envision the first test sounding great until my original wiring burns up. Plus, even with heavier duty wires and a relay, I am wondering if my 30 amp generator can handle the power demands. Especially if it is at night and the headlights are on. I think you have a high output alternator so not a problem for you. For me, I can just see hitting the horn and the car stalling as the ignition cuts out from lack of power! :eek: Don't really believe that, but would be a Laurel and Hardy moment wouldn't it?

Seriously though, I am thinking about getting a pair of these myself. Thanks for the recommendation.

Gene

dude234

Gold forum user
Has anyone the LAT 21 "French Horn" ? How do they sound? What makes the it a "French Horn"? Made in France maybe?

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
Talking of Laurel and Hardy moments think of the horn as another dimmer switch. If someone flashes their hi-beams at ya you can hit the horn until they pass by to dim your lights. Maybe if you used your horn that long it might fry some wires but I doubt a beep here or there will cause any heat up.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Honk This !

Has anyone the LAT 21 "French Horn" ? How do they sound? What makes the it a "French Horn"? Made in France maybe?

The State of NH DMV some years ago disapproved of the "French" beep!!!
I actually got a ticket once ?? Why, I asked? Because it's the mandate, I was told. With all NH's "Live free or die" bravado, who could find the reason to get upset over some little old honker? Must have been some Norman/Saxon history in the legislative (racist) body.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
They are in and loud as hell.........

See/hear - http://youtu.be/8KAgoNFlaks

Camera does not do them justice as it reduces the recorded volume automatically.

No relay was needed and this is not with the car running. Stock wires reach. Clear Hooters are very heavy so there is a weight savings there too. ;)

I have to make new horn hole covers as the others were held in by the sandwiching between the OEM horn and the bulkhead.

Did not paint them as they are hidden.

001-43.jpg

Last edited:

JimsCat

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I have a much older fix. The general changeover to 12-volt systems in cars happened in the mid-'50s, so in the late '50s there were plenty of 6-volt car horns available in the junk yards. A popular swap was to substitute GM (usually Chevy) 6-volt horns in 12-volt vehicles. They were cheap and sounded like air horns. The additional voltage seemed to have no ill effect.

When I acquired my Tiger about 10 years later, I went hunting for 6-volt Chevy horns. They had all but disappeared, but I did find a pair of 6-volt Pontiac horns (probably exactly the same as Chevy) and installed them in my Tiger. They're still there and will rattle the sheetmetal, although I rarely use them. They are a "compact" spiral style but are larger and heavier than the original Tiger beepers.

I connected a pair of 6-volt Ford horns to a 12-volt battery and was disappointed that they sounded exactly the same as they did on 6 volts.

It's nice to know that there are better choices today.

Jim

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Could not take it, had to paint them.

009-6.jpg

008-4.jpg

Call it blasphemy but.....I am going to leave the horn holes open and see how the cooling system does. The temp has been low for years having applied most of the heat fixes. I cant help but think that all that nice air entering the engine compartment at speed is a good thing. The only time the temp get close to 200 is running a 70 mph or more. It may have helped my carb issues when I was driving for hours with temps in the 90's.