Clogged Brake Lines

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Not surprisingly I have run into another problem trying to get my Tiger back on the road after 20 years of sitting in the garage. After bypassing the booster, I can't bleed the brakes. I am getting no fluid from any of the bleeder valves.
Separately, I loosened fittings at the bypass and at the union where the brake light switch is and stepping on the pedal caused fluid to leak at both places so the rebuilt master cylinder is doing its job.
Searching online at this problem in general discussions on several car forums indicated the flexible brake hoses tend to clog up when not used for a long period. Since this is a quick fix just to get the car to be able to drive around the neighborhood on its 50th birthday I didn't change the hoses or wheel cylinders. All of the rubber hoses were still flexible and showed no signs of leaks.

Has anybody else encountered this problem?

Warren

Gold forum user
CAT Parts

Sells a SS version of the flexible line for a modified or personalized car . Not sure who has a rubber version but I would be hesitant to use most as rubber just does not seem to hold up like it used too.

Oh and I would remove the bleeder all the way and get it clean as possible and pump with it removed a few strokes, messy but effective,

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The fluid causes the hoses to deteriorate internally the rubber guess like glue. Often the brakes work but jamb on as the hoses collapse internally and sticks together not letting fluid return. They look fine externally but are ruined.

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for the input. Since I was in desperation mode to hit the road on the car's 50th birthday (today), I pulled all three hoses and they were fully clogged. I managed to root them out just so some fluid would pass through. Don't worry I'm not going racing anytime soon. I put everything back together, bled the system and B9472733 hit the street for the first time since 1992. Those hoses were barely functional so braking was very scary but it was still a blast. I never got out of second gear but I did accomplish my goal. Also, thanks to some really old and hardened tires, I pulled off a couple of second gear chirps.

Now, with no deadlines, I can start to do some more permanent repairs and eventually a full restoration.

eagleman1022

Silver forum user
CAT Member
getter back on the road!!

Yeah for getting her back on the road. It is a rewarding feeling when everything works well enough to drive it!