Clutch Master Cylinder Fitting Adapter

El Tigre

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I am restoring/upgrading a M1A. Installed Rick's replacement clutch master and slave cylinders, but wanted to use braided SS line with AN fittings. Both the clutch master and slave cylinder fittings are 3/8-24 bubble flare fittings. While I can find plenty of 3/8-24 male inverted flare to male -4AN adapters, no one seems to have a 3/8-24 male bubble flare adapter. All the bubble flare adapters are metric, 10mm x 1.25 or 10 x 1.5. Has anyone run across a source for the needed adapter fitting? Thanks

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I had a client bring in a Mk2 that he had fit a flexible stainless line from the master to the slave... the line swelled so much under pressure that the clutch wouldn't work...

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have had good luck with clutch MC to slave using a flex line - have had one on my car since 2008. With that said, it will probably not work tomorrow. Wonder if the flex line that swelled was exposed to too much heat from header? I had planned on doing clutch flex line setup again because it is so easy to use, if anyone has more feedback would like to know.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I have had good luck with clutch MC to slave using a flex line - have had one on my car since 2008. With that said, it will probably not work tomorrow. Wonder if the flex line that swelled was exposed to too much heat from header? I had planned on doing clutch flex line setup again because it is so easy to use, if anyone has more feedback would like to know.
It was a brand new line, just couldn't make it work... I made up a new steel line as I have a Eastwood flaring tool which makes making lines a breeze.

El Tigre

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for the tip on Pegasus. A great resource. I think they had every adapter fitting I could imagine and some I couldn't, EXCEPT the one I needed, but they did offer a work-around that may work, but it also presents another problem as the work-around fitting that has a 3/8-24 fitting is only available with a -3 AN fitting and I want to use -4AN. This gets me to the comments regarding flex line swelling.

From my drag racing background, most of the clutch/standard trans drag racers are using internal hydraulic throw-out bearings instead of slave cylinders which requires the use of a flex line and seldom experience line swelling. That being said, the flex line must be a line rated for hydraulic clutch operation, of a proper size for the anticipated pressure and compatible with the type of hydraulic fluid being used. McCleod Racing is a great source for both the hydraulic throw-out bearing and braided SS clutch flex lines. Also keep in mind that when using a slave cylinder linkage, the amount of pressure on the system is affected by the pressure plate rated pressure and the length of the throw-out bearing arm. Longer arm = more leverage = less linkage pressure required to operate.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Girling cylinder thread is the same as AN3 or 3/8-24 as you have discovered.
I am doing the same right now using a SS flex line and banjo fitting at the MC, simply because I have the bits from another project. The thought is that engine movement will be accommodated by the flex line, but then again I have that cool Eastwood flaring tool as well and a hard line has worked for decades..................