Correct lube for 67 tiger steering rack

canomkr

Bronze forum user
What is the correct lube for my 67 tiger steering rack. Manual says Shell Spirax E.P. 90 but I heard that the correct one (without high pressure additives?} is no longer produced and the spirax blend now on the market is bad for the metal in the steering box. Can anyone tell me the correct substitute. This change in formula makes me wonder about the gear box and rear end as well.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sprirax EP 90 was a single viscosity gear lube with an extreme pressure additive. The most widely used EP additive for decades has been sulfur phosphorus. It's what causes the nasty smell. As time progressed conventional automotive gear oils as well as engine oils became a multi viscosity lube. EP 90 is now called an EP 80/90 or a multi viscosity product.. If there are any yellow metal parts such as syncros in a trans don't use an EP additive with S/P. It starts a corrosion process on the yellow metals that can't be reversed. Many specialty blenders have their own gear oils, engine oils, and coolants but these cars are vintage and if you are still using the original drive train why not use the current spec products such as an 80/90, 20/50, etc. The specs of most lubes from various blenders have to meet current specs and most are backwards compatible.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
What is the correct lube for my 67 tiger steering rack. Manual says Shell Spirax E.P. 90 but I heard that the correct one (without high pressure additives?} is no longer produced and the spirax blend now on the market is bad for the metal in the steering box. Can anyone tell me the correct substitute. This change in formula makes me wonder about the gear box and rear end as well.
Redline 75/90NS Use in rear end , tranny and steering rack. Recommended for toploader and rear end , it has no friction modifiers and is safe for all non ferrous parts like the syncros. It is full synthetic and is safe for the rubber gaiters on the steering rack

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Redline 75/90NS Use in rear end , tranny and steering rack. Recommended for toploader and rear end , it has no friction modifiers and is safe for all non ferrous parts like the syncros. It is full synthetic and is safe for the rubber gaiters on the steering rack
If you have a limited slip rear end you don't want to use this Red Line gear oil because it would require the addition of a friction modifier.

canomkr

Bronze forum user
I'm having a hard time locating the correct gear oil as mentioned earlier in this thread. Can anyone tell me specifically what oil by brand and name to use please.
My gearbox is the original that came with my 289

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I'm having a hard time locating the correct gear oil as mentioned earlier in this thread. Can anyone tell me specifically what oil by brand and name to use please.
My gearbox is the original that came with my 289
any brand of gear oil that is specified as Type GL4 is suitable. you specifically want to AVOID GL5 gear oils. I was able to order it from my local NAPA

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
GL-4 gear oils are intended for use in manual transmissions or trans axles with spur or helical gears that operate under moderate loads. GL-5 gear oils are intended for use in drive axles with hypoid gears that operate under high speed / high load conditions. If you have a local Walmart, big box parts store or local parts stores just buy the quantity needed in any brand because if it carries the GL-4 designation then it meets specs. A GL-5 such as a 75/90 is usually a synthetic product. Most blend plants bottle the same gear oil under many labels with each having a trace element to signify the brand. FYI, most GL-5 gear oils will have close to double the amount of extreme pressure additive and is not needed in a transmission.

Last edited: