Correct silver hammer finish paint?

A-Snake

Bronze forum user
Has anyone tried the Krylon #2916 hammer finish for the Tiger air cleaner? How close to original is it?

F1PH6QdYQgW3NuvJJdn9LwBLBQ43xzoQUR7iL1XB9m5WtmVxbp6fMntNzDyDRZy1dilzZvPEAEG_yZvhLrhNnl1Gh_rcKKtyyxuTXxPo1FSwgWzSa_MCiC6iwqsFIFdP_lxYYfyQuKeGipOTCiHp

Rust-Oleum also has a version. Any better?

Cal44

Gold forum user
My understanding (limited) is the air cleaner does not have a hammered finish. It is silver, of which shade or code I do not know.

In answer too your question I used Rustoleum, it is a darn fine product. I used an etching primer first. After your final coat let the paint cure for a minimum of two days, in a warm area.

Yes, I used the hammered finish.

mike

Growler

Gold forum user
I bought a few different silvers to see which was closest. I settled on Dupli-color Platinum Met BNS0595. It is in the "Duplicates Original NISSAN Colors". It had just a bit of flake to it but the color was right and the metallicness seemed to flatten out a bit in a few days. I sprayed the top of the air filter (after a test on a scrap piece of alum) and not the bottom or insides and you really can't see the differance. IMHO I would't used the hammered look in that location - I did use it (the rustolium brand) on the seat adjustment cover plates and it is a good look. Good luck.

A-Snake

Bronze forum user
According to The Book Of Norman the color for the air cleaner on a MKI is Hammertone Gray. Was something else used on later cars?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
According to The Book Of Norman the color for the air cleaner on a MKI is Hammertone Gray. Was something else used on later cars?

I thnk you will find the finsh was the same all the way through.. rootes used this finsh on several parts on other sunbeams and hillmans etc..

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Hammered?

What are the ingredients or recipe for a well hammered silver? Does it stay hammered? Is there an antidote which will preserve the effect without suffering later? Will the air-filter respect you tomorrow?

Rick

Fordlandia

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I have every reason to believe that when I bought my Mark I (in 1979) that the air cleaner had not been repainted. It has a silver hammered finish.

However, recently, I purchased an air cleaner from the original owner of a Tiger he had sold a few years back. He sold the car minus the cleaner. The air cleaner top had not been repainted (per the seller) and it is a smooth finish silver. Is it possible that the finish changed over the years?

Regards,

Bill

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
michael,
have you have it reproduced ?

Have i had it reproduced? No, i dont need to, there is a supplier here who sells the hamertone finish paints. If you look at the photos of Lances SIVGT he has used it and it matched the finish on his original car. Paint is not cheap IIRC and not easy to get a nice even finish, i think it may be a UK product.