Correct Tiger waterpump

kbecker

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Got the heat going in garage today starting to work on motor again should have been done last winter but still waiting on my comp cam (back-ordered) new estimated time end of January. Have an aftermarket water pump I took off a 1964 289 motor and need to have the hub pressed back for pulley alignment I'm not sure if you press the shaft or just the hub where fan attaches. I still need to install crank and assemblies to see how far pulley is off but wanted to install cam before crank. I know the reg and fan pulleys are off Iam using Edelbrock aluminum heads but wouldn't think that should matter. The fan hub on this water pump is the same distance as the one that was on my 260 motor that had a water pump from 64/65 c5ae-8505-c don't think pulleys aligned than either Thanks Kevin

1 waterpump.jpg

1 replacement waterpump.jpg

Last edited:

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
You do want to move just the hub where the fan attaches. I figure the distance I want the back of the hub to be from the nose of the housing and use a block of that dimension to temporarily sit there and press the hub against it.

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
You need to press the hub. You also need to support the shaft on the impeller side so you don't press against the bearings.
Btw, I was not willing to wait for the Comp cam so I bought the Summit Racing Sum-1799. It is an improvement on the stock cam, and gives good low end torque. I am not building a race engine. Looking for around 230-250 hp.
The cam that came out of my engine is a Blue Racer 972853. It appears to be in excellent condition if you are interested in it. The engine was in excellent condition when I disassembled it.
I have not run the engine yet, so I can't tell you how it runs. I modeled the performance using a program called Engine Analyzer Plus v3.4. The predicted performance is attached. My enine has stock 260 heads ported, matched Edelbrock F4B manifold, Holley 1846, 465 cfm 4 barrel carb and headers.

Attachments

• Blue Racer vs Summit 1799.pdf
    61.2 KB · Views: 111
  • blueracer_guidesheet_9-9-10 3.pdf
    195.2 KB · Views: 66

kbecker

Gold forum user
CAT Member
You do want to move just the hub where the fan attaches. I figure the distance I want the back of the hub to be from the nose of the housing and use a block of that dimension to temporarily sit there and press the hub against it.
Thanks for the info

kbecker

Gold forum user
CAT Member
You need to press the hub. You also need to support the shaft on the impeller side so you don't press against the bearings.
Btw, I was not willing to wait for the Comp cam so I bought the Summit Racing Sum-1799. It is an improvement on the stock cam, and gives good low end torque. I am not building a race engine. Looking for around 230-250 hp.
The cam that came out of my engine is a Blue Racer 972853. It appears to be in excellent condition if you are interested in it. The engine was in excellent condition when I disassembled it.
I have not run the engine yet, so I can't tell you how it runs. I modeled the performance using a program called Engine Analyzer Plus v3.4. The predicted performance is attached. My enine has stock 260 heads ported, matched Edelbrock F4B manifold, Holley 1846, 465 cfm 4 barrel carb and headers.
Your new motor sounds good my 260 had the stock heads port matched to stock exhaust and low rise tiger manifold, holley 1850 600 carb, dual point Distibutor, with stock cam
very strong 260. I have a comp xe268h cam on back order to go with my edelbrock rpm top end kit so I have a Edelbrock 7122 cam that came with kit. The Edelbrock cam has similar specs like your blue racer so if I have to, I'll use it but thanks for offering. My new motor is a 289 forged pistons, balanced crank zero decked, and bored .030 has a Edelbrock rpm top end and 650 carb with headers should have 300hp plus who knows I was happy with my 260 let a friend use car came back broke. That was 35 years ago won't happen again.

20221211_195429.jpg

Last edited:

kbecker

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just wondering if this would be the correct water pump for a tiger. It has a 1-inch sleeve on it.
Have not seen this one in person looks like it might be pressed on, if its correct for a Tiger thought I'd pick it up since I don't
have one. My Tiger didn't have one when I got it so have never seen one. Thanks Kevin

00909_cK5Ej5XxJDiz_0t20CI_1200x900 (1).jpg

kbecker

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Randy I'm going to take your thumbs up as a yes for tiger pump or at least the adaptor is correct for
a tiger fan pulley/fan. The hub has also been pressed back who knows if it's correct. Last question can
the adaptor be used on another pump Thanks

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Randy I'm going to take your thumbs up as a yes for tiger pump or at least the adaptor is correct for
a tiger fan pulley/fan. The hub has also been pressed back who knows if it's correct. Last question can
the adaptor be used on another pump Thanks
Yes, it's a correct hub and they were pressed back to about the distance of a nickel. I WOULD NOT trust the seals in that old critter. The hub can be carefully recovered with the correct press tools and installed on a new pump. CAUTION to press bear only on the inner shaft so that the shaft & seal position is not disturbed. I have extra Tiger hubs if needed.

kbecker

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yes, it's a correct hub and they were pressed back to about the distance of a nickel. I WOULD NOT trust the seals in that old critter. The hub can be carefully recovered with the correct press tools and installed on a new pump. CAUTION to press bear only on the inner shaft so that the shaft & seal position is not disturbed. I have extra Tiger hubs if needed

Yes, it's a correct hub and they were pressed back to about the distance of a nickel. I WOULD NOT trust the seals in that old critter. The hub can be carefully recovered with the correct press tools and installed on a new pump. CAUTION to press bear only on the inner shaft so that the shaft & seal position is not disturbed. I have extra Tiger hubs
Thanks not planning on using my fan is 5/8

Franchi

Silver forum user
"The hub can be carefully recovered with the correct press tools and installed on a new pump."
Be careful, not all the shafts are the same diameter, if off too much the hub can crack.

David

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
"The hub can be carefully recovered with the correct press tools and installed on a new pump."
Be careful, not all the shafts are the same diameter, if off too much the hub can crack.

David
Add Note: The press tool (aka clamshell) should sit closely around the shaft so that pressure is not exerted on the outer flange area. You are correct in that improper press tool location will (not maybe) crack the hub.