Dales MG Midget Steering Rack Conversion

Chris Major

Silver forum user
I have a 66 Tiger w/Dales MG Midget (early) Steering Rack Conversion. The car came with the conversion when I purchased it. The tie rod adjustment adapters that Dale furnishes with the kit were modified (shortened) by the original owner. I'm not comfortable with 6 threads of engagement.

Anyone have any adapters for sale? Not having any luck reaching Dales. Know any alternative sources for this tie rod adjustment adapter?

Thanks in advance (yet again),

Chris Major

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Not sure what the part looks like but have you tried a machine shop in your area, they may have an idea.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Chris,

i have replied to your PM (just so you know :) )

as for the adaptors.. i know a guy here who has some.. but they are heavy and its a long postage from AU.. there is a guy in the Uk on the STOC boards doding a similar kit.. might be faster/cheaper... otherwise.. keep tryignt o call Dale.. he picks up eventually.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
IIRC, the adapters look a lot like what's in the pic below... I've made some similar for other projects on the lathe..

Unfortunately, most you will find are the same thread on both ends ( eg. 5/8" LH male & 5/8" RH female) but IIRC, Dales are 9/16" LH thread on the male end in order to use the left hand threaded Alpine tie rod ends... and 5/8" RH thread on the female end for the tie rod

Any good machine shop should be able to make you a pair out of some hex steel ( not sure if Dale used 4130 ) in an hour or so... using yours for a pattern...
The nice thing about it tho is you don't have to take the tie rod end off to adjust the toe in.

Jim
B382000446