DEC 31st MORNING Rose Parade route drive! UPDATED

Dan MacMedan

Silver forum user
CAT Member
ALSO SEE UPDATE BELOW.

Hello So Cal Tiger community!
While wishing everyone a very happy Christmas and holiday season, as mentioned in Tiger Tales, we will be leading a drive on New Year's Eve Morning through the Rose Parade route along Colorado blvd.

A little history. For a number of years now the SoCal Norton Motorcycle club has held a ride every year at this time and I have attended several of them. As we'd gather at Lucky Baldwins Pub along Colorado blvd, I'd notice one car club after another, as well as ad hoc individuals in vintage cars all cruising the blvd up and down. Once I counted about 200 VW's just from one club. I feel it's high time the blvd got some Tigers in the mix! It's fun to see all the activity setting up for the parade as well as folks breaking out their cars for a cruise.

As of now, the planned route will be to muster by 9am at a Chevron Station in the Eagle Rock area at 7368 N Figueroa St, Los Angeles, CA 90041
Shortly after 9 am we will head across the famous Pasadena Bridge, down the entire 5.5 miles of the parade route, turn about at the end, return and and then through the Arroyo Seco hillsides to La Cañada, where weather and road conditions permitting, we can cruise a few miles up Angeles Crest Highway and back.

I realize many of you have New Year's Eve plans, so this won't be an all day event and people can participate in as much or a little as desired.

I have been checking the weather and as of now it looks like New Year's Eve will be dry, but before you head out, please check the forum and if the weather changes I will make a notice there.

If there are any questions, please post them here or email me at president@catmbr.org

Thank you so much.

Dan MacMedan

Last edited:

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Dan, do you know Reid Libby? He's a Norton guy and a good friend of mine.

Dan MacMedan

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Probably by site, but not by name! More like "Oh the guy with the red BSA Triple"... hahaha

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Dan, Reid is the guy with the Serenity t-shirt:
311188_3855134778505_754660395_n.jpg

Dan MacMedan

Silver forum user
CAT Member
UPDATE!
I’ve actually been hesitant to update this notification, which has been on the forum for a while now, because of the weather implications as well as if the Rose Parade might be cancelled ( again ). As of this ( THURSDAY) morning, it looks like the weather will break late this evening and should be bright and dry Friday morning, New Year’s Eve.

I ran the route Wednesday, including up the mountain, and there are plenty of turnouts if we feel the road conditions up the mountain are not to our liking. Also, I will be taking a poll when we gather and we can decided then how much of a drive we want to do, weather and time permitting.

Again, the meeting point is about 9am at the Chevron Station in the Eagle Rock area at 7368 N Figueroa St, Los Angeles, CA 90041

Cheers Happy New Year

Dan

Brianelec

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I haven't seen anything written about the cruise on New Years eve on the Rose Parade Route so I will add something in here. I happened to be watching KTLA Channel 5 on the morning of December 31. At about 9:30 in the morning Wendy Birch was interviewing the KTLA hosts of the Rose Parade to prepare for the big day. The interview was taking place on the edge of the road on Colorado Boulevard. As I was watching here comes a Sunbeam Tiger in the background. As it goes by quickly it was difficult to identify. Here is the description. It was a light to medium metalic blue paint. It had no front license plate. It had a hardtop and mags. There were two people in the Tiger. I did not see any more Tigers. There is a Mercedes convertable before the Tiger that looks like they are taking pictures to their rear of the Tiger behind them. Click on the website below. This takes you to the KTLA website. You may get an advertisement before the video begins. The video starts at 9:34. The Tiger comes along at the end of 9:37. If you happen to get a timer on your screen the Tiger comes along at 3:19.

https://ktla.com/morning-news/mark-steines-and-leeza-gibbons-prepare-for-the-133rd-rose-parade/

Last edited:

Warren

Gold forum user
Some of my bro's from the Austin Healey club have done this for many moons.
Today they reported their drive was Covid effected but hopefully it'll rebound.
These guys are 100 mile easy in a morning types .
Certainly I hope to be fit enough to clutch and coffee and follow them next time.

Dan MacMedan

Silver forum user
CAT Member
You are CORRECT!!! Steve and Catherine Hawkworth from Monrovia, CA brought out their MK1A for the drive. My MKII Tiger had brake issues, and even tearing the brakes apart at 6am trying to get them working was hopeless, so I took the Mercedes and the two of us made our way to and fro on the parade route and then a nice little drive along the hillsides of Pasadena and La Cañada. The Austin Healy club had a much better showing as I counted about 8 or so along the route. I'd love to do this again properly another year.
New Years Eve Tiger drive  0001.jpg

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have almost the exact same screen shot without the big arrow in the middle:

Tiger rose parade '21.jpg

Dan MacMedan

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I needed to pause it with the photographer in the frame. Hard to get without doing that.